PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] Title bar Missing

SnackMasterX
May 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hello, I just installed 8.04 and installed the nvidia drivers for my 7900 GT (not the "new" glx drivers) however after I installed the nvidia drivers my title bars disappeared. If I edit the xorg.conf and change the driver from nvidia to vesa then my title bar reappears however I cannot use twinview with the vesa driver.

Thanks in Advance for any assistance that can be provided.

hermes0710
May 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I suppose you mean the window decorations and not the panels by "title bars". Try typing through a terminal "metacity --replace" to see what happens

SnackMasterX
May 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
No, I wish it was as simple as the themes missing but I mean title bar as in where it says the program name and has the minimize, maximize, and close buttons. No idea what happened but I get the same problem when I try using an ATI card as well. Thought it might just be something with the nvidia drivers but I have no idea why it's doing this. I get the title bar back when I change from nvidia to vesa driver in the xorg.conf though. Any suggestions?

TWeerts
May 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM
that is what he is talking about. i just had the same problem. the way i fixed it was:

system > preferences > advanced desktop effects settings > effects > window decoration. make sure "window decoration" is checked.

SnackMasterX
May 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ohh, sorry I didn't understand that. I will do this when I get home, thanks for the help!

SnackMasterX
May 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Alright I have another question, what do I do if I do not have

system > preferences > advanced desktop effects settings

TWeerts
May 19th, 2008, 04:57 AM
you must install the package "advanced desktop effects settings." use synaptic.

however, my title bars have disappeared again. and my window decorations are checked, though. any help?

angry_johnnie
May 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Advance desktop effects (the package is called compizconfig-settings-manager) will give you window decorations, if you're using compiz.

I'f you're not using compiz, you could just do what hermes0710 suggested.

Open a terminal and type

metacity --replace & disown

If the problem is compiz-related, then yes, install compizconfig-settings-manager, and enable the window decorations plugin.

anuban
May 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Do the following and see:

Press CTRL+ALT+F2
Login and password
sudo apt-get remove gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.
Restart...

everything should be fine.:smile:

There is a similar thread for the same issue some people are facing:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772229
Hope it helps...

bslaveboy
May 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I'm still having the problem with the missing title bars.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the gnome-panel etc. as you suggested, but that doesn't help.

Replacing with metacity does work, but then I don't have any of the desktop effects, which kinda makes having a graphics card rather pointless.

VMC
May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
that is what he is talking about. i just had the same problem. the way i fixed it was:

system > preferences > advanced desktop effects settings > effects > window decoration. make sure "window decoration" is checked.

For the life of me I can't find this application. My system preferences doesn't show desktop effects settings. I even wnet to "/usr/share/applications" and looked around. Found nothing about this. Thanks.