PDA

View Full Version : life is a game...game is a life

lunaluna
May 16th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I want to make a pool for which features in game you consider most important...(made by your thoughts :popcorn: )
and what else you would like to see generally in a game.
maybe some specific features you might have in mind or liked more or less in a game?

So,,,,?

macaholic
May 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
This should probably be moved to one of the community discussion doards, not a support board. Maybe this (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93) one?

p_quarles
May 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Moved to the Community Cafe.

Patrick-Ruff
May 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM
very very very open ended, if not infinite. very good attention to details in a game, have a lot of stuff that is surprising to the player and make it so they do something new and interesting every time they play.

and also make the old stuff fun enough to do again, over and over.

swoll1980
May 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM
a good story to me is the most important. If you can get people involed so they want to know what going to happen in the story line then they will continue to play. For example I don't like fps titles, but the story in Halo was so good I played it just to see what was going to happen next

Tatty
May 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
For me, I have always enjoyed Strategy, Simulation and Realism. Those are usually what makes me want to play a game. The Civilisation series and the Total War series are two of my most favourite game series ever.

lunaluna
May 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
some specific features you might have in mind or liked more or less in a game?

SomeGuyDude
May 16th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Story is paramount to me. Second is a logical learning curve and difficulty progression (i.e. the first few levels should be educational but still mildly challenging and halfway through the game it shouldn't get ridiculously hard). Tasks should be logical and not based in mindless object-collecting or long journeys just to make the game longer.

This is in terms of long games, mind, for big systems. For little web-based games, storyline and mindless crap mean nothing. In that case, difficulty is the biggest issue along with general simplicity.

cardinals_fan
May 16th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Puzzle or semi-arcade jump around (think n) with a vast # of levels.

Tatty
May 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I dont like it when theres certain bits of a game which are not fully explained, and you have to guess how it works.

It was good back in the day when you used to get a PROPER manual for a game which explained its mechanics in good detail. Civ II had a great manual.

oo-boon-too
May 16th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Online.
Since I too like replay value, and infinite possibilities, I like online games. They can change at all times, not only due to the ever chnaging world (More/less players) but because you can add patches and etc.

There also must be a reason to play, hence a good story is needed.
Also, the ability to have choices. Not having to always do a certain thing, but being able to do a new 'quest' or equivelant each time.

This is why I like World of Warcraft haha, even though I don't have any 'uber cool' characters...i guess i dont play enough...;/

lunaluna
May 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
nice nice...keep it up

Xzallion
May 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I want to make a pool for which features in game you consider most important...(made by your thoughts :popcorn: )
and what else you would like to see generally in a game.
maybe some specific features you might have in mind or liked more or less in a game?

So,,,,?

Honestly this is a question without any answer. It is too general to generate any useful data. Narrow it down by naming a genre and system, because people play games for different reasons, but generally play similar games for similar reasons. Some need something to entertain them for a few minutes, ala minesweeper or other simple thought provoking games. Others desire a massive storyline, a single player or multi-player experience.

There is no perfect formula, or a best way to make a game.