PDA

View Full Version : unstable? when?

sweeneytodd
May 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
ubuntu isn't unstable, so can everyone stop saying it is, it has more probably to do with the companies hardware and the drivers used, these companies protect their hardware like windows and their os, so blame them for not providing the drivers or giving the ubuntu team the necessary data to compile a driver.
As far as ubuntu is concerned, my computer runs like a rocket, never frozen, windows would of a few times by now, windows is unstable.
MAC AND LINUX ARE STABLE
repeat

maniacmusician
May 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Any system can be unstable depending on what software you use, what hardware you have, or a number of other factors.

And Macs are not stable by any stretch of the imagination.

jrusso2
May 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
How does this explain people that were using gutsy with the same hardware and no problems?

Why do people have such a problem when things are new they are often buggy.
A 6 months development and testing period is too short to provide a stable release of an operating system. Why take it so personal that people are going to have issue and not have to blame them or their hardware?

msrinath80
May 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
ubuntu isn't unstable, so can everyone stop saying it is, it has more probably to do with the companies hardware and the drivers used, these companies protect their hardware like windows and their os, so blame them for not providing the drivers or giving the ubuntu team the necessary data to compile a driver.
As far as ubuntu is concerned, my computer runs like a rocket, never frozen, windows would of a few times by now, windows is unstable.
MAC AND LINUX ARE STABLE
repeat

I can fathom from your tone that you're trying to desparately protect Ubuntu for whatever reason. So firstly, let me assure you that nobody is going to declare Mac and/or GNU/Linux or even MS Windows as unstable. I agree with jrusso2. My laptop was well supported in Gutsy and for whatever reason does not play well with Hardy. Does this mean GNU/Linux is unstable? No. As maniacmusician rightly pointed out, it all depends on the software being used.

Secondly, *nobody* is going to give the "ubuntu team" enough data to compile a driver. Case in point, the "ubuntu team" has no business developing/debugging drivers. All this is done upstream (i.e. by the real developers not the package maintainers).

Your computer runs like a rocket. Very good. We hope that it will continue doing so. Unfortunately everyone does not use the same computer as you do, so there are bound to be differences in user experience. Some hardware work as expected out of the box, some need some special quirks, some absolutely don't (yet). Either we can remain patient and hope that a future release will fix the outstanding issues or alternatively find another distro that does. I ended up doing the latter.

Xerp
May 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I have no stability problems with Ununtu on either of my computers. Been running fine for years!

bufsabre666
May 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
from my use windows would be considered the most stable os if those are your criteria, but thats more on that when im on linux i want to play around, i run unstable software, i use the propreitary drivers which arent really stable either,

if you break it down in the past 4 years i prolly have a total of 1.5 years of windows use: 1 blue screen and that was because >I< installed the wrong driver, linux: ~2.25 years: maybe 30 crashes (see above), and mac: ~.25 years, well it locked up every 3 hours, as has been my overall mac experience since the school district started using mac when i was in kindergarten, never ever worked right, in macs defense those were prolly the worst of all the macs you could buy, my senior year of high school they got the emacs and those were pretty good but still hung regularly

it all depends on how you treat the os, i could easily make linux more stable for me, but i like to tinker, my dads computer is ubuntu and he just has basic usage, internet music and office, and his has never crash in almost 2 years

sweeneytodd
May 16th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I agree, and am sorry for offending, its just that theres alot of problems with say "nivdia" for instance, and alot of computers have nivdia, so alot of problems would be solved if nivdia did its consumers a favor and provided a good driver, in windows one driver download covers so many different cards that they could do the same for linux, i don't understand why its protected because i have their dame card in my computer that was brought brand new,
so as a consumer, i think they are rude for not suppling the neccessary drivers and the next card i get isn't going to be nivdia because of this, it will be purely if they have a linux driver with their card. and hey at the end of the day thats where my monies going to go.

cardinals_fan
May 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
It all depends on how you look at it. A FreeBSD release is certainly more stable then an Ubuntu one.

msrinath80
May 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I agree, and am sorry for offending, its just that theres alot of problems with say "nivdia" for instance, and alot of computers have nivdia, so alot of problems would be solved if nivdia did its consumers a favor and provided a good driver, in windows one driver download covers so many different cards that they could do the same for linux, i don't understand why its protected because i have their dame card in my computer that was brought brand new,
so as a consumer, i think they are rude for not suppling the neccessary drivers and the next card i get isn't going to be nivdia because of this, it will be purely if they have a linux driver with their card. and hey at the end of the day thats where my monies going to go.

There's no need to apologize. I don't think anyone was seriously offended.

As for your nvidia argument, I agree with your feeling. However, this problem has been discussed several times before and beaten to death. There are software patent licensing and IP issues with releasing open source nvidia drivers for GNU/Linux. Plus, nvidia has the constant fear that open-sourcing their drivers would reveal their hardware secrets for awesome GPU performance and thus give other competitors an edge.

And guess what, last year I did exactly as you said. I bought a laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics and wireless simply because Intel supports free-software drivers for both the GMA 950 and the 3945BG chipset. To the best possible extent, my money will only go to that hardware manufacturer who will support free software drivers for their hardware.

sweeneytodd
May 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
a question for an expert, what happens when you try to manipulate a restricted driver, surely with permissions you can open up the driver and see whats happening or is this just way off. or does nivdia leave out alot of stuff out and is patched up with lessor code?

swoll1980
May 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I think 99% of stability problems come from people with 12 year old graphics cards tring to run compiz. After a year of running Ubuntu I have not had one crash

swoll1980
May 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If you were a programmer you could fix any of these problems on your own computer who would know about it? You just wouldn't be able to redistribute I'm sure theres devs out there that have the best of every thing. Using ms code to run programs
on linux and things like that