PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find out about linux motherboard reviews?

Mr_J_
October 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I am looking for a motherboard for AMD64 Venice.
I started looking at the Asus A8n-* motherboards. Since I probably won't use SLI I sorta got back to reality from the A8N-SLI premium and picked a realistic A8N-E.

The thing is I can't really get any reviews on any linux based motherboard reviews so I can get the thoughts on "Will it work?" out of my head.

I believe it should work, but then again I've been lucky with my supported hardware.

I saw Linux Hardware, but they don't have a lot of reviews and I'm not too into spending a lot of money so I kinda liked the A8N-E because of the price, but to buy it and then have to get a new one 'cause that one doesn't work is also not worth my time.

Any motherboards I should consider?

irish rebel
October 20th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Years ago Dr.Charlie Brewer ran the Linux testing Center testing hardware submitting to the distro's and his business was providing open source solutions to small business. I worked with him untill he died , I plan to restart the business and will post .To answer your question ASUS always work for me ideally especially 64 bit boards.

mstlyevil
October 21st, 2005, 12:00 AM
Asus should work well with Linux out of the box on a 939 socket board. Is your board Nforce 4? If so I would probally bet it would be a 99% chance it will play nice with Linux. Also you can try Abit,Gigabyte or MSI.

WildTangent
October 21st, 2005, 12:21 AM
Asus should work well with Linux out of the box on a 939 socket board. Is your board Nforce 4? If so I would probally bet it would be a 99% chance it will play nice with Linux. Also you can try Abit,Gigabyte or MSI.
The "N" in A8N-E stands for Nvidia, meaning it has an Nvidia chipset. ;)

I Had to learn motherboard nomenclature for the major manufacturers for work. :P

-Wild

mstlyevil
October 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM
The "N" in A8N-E stands for Nvidia, meaning it has an Nvidia chipset. ;)

I Had to learn motherboard nomenclature for the major manufacturers for work. :P

-Wild

Doih on my part duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wasn't even thinking about the N in the name.

Mr_J_
October 21st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Thats good to know!
So Asus makes linux friendly motherboards.:D
Too bad the center died. It sounds like a great idea.

Unfortunatly there still isn't enough of an audience for that.
Maybe that's just my P.O.V., but for us in the light side of the force...
It's a good idea!
How does one make a business like that?