PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO : Create a custom keyboard shortcut

frodon
October 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
The goal of this small HOWTO is to create a custom keyboard shortcut to run a software (like xmms, 3ddesk, ...) or what command line you want (xkill, transset 0.5, ...). Personally i use this trick to launch xkill, different values of transset and also alltray.

A- Using xbindkeys, works for each desktop (KDE, GNOME, XFCE, ...)

1- First install xbindkeys :
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys

2- Install xbindkeys-config, it's a GTK frontend for xbindkeys so it' easy to configure xbindkeys with that.
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys-config

3- Configuration
Launch xbindkeys :
xbindkeysThen launch the GUI :
xbindkeys-configAnd then enjoy how it's easy to configure shortcuts with this GUI ;)

B- Using metacity (the default GNOME window manager)
In the example i give, i want to start xkill (graphical kill) using "Alt + a" shortcut.
You will see some screenshots from aysiu at the bottom of the post.

1- Open GConf editor (Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor), go to apps -> metacity -> keybinding_commands, and now choose a command, for my example I choose command_1. Edit command_1 writing xkill in order to run xkill (or every command you want to launch like in a terminal).

2- In the same directory go to global_keybindings. Edit command_1 (or the command you choose in part 1) with the wanted shortcut like that : <Alt>a (to use the windows key just edit the field with Super_L)

Misc
If you are looking for the name a key, the tool xev will help you. Just type xev in a terminal then you will see an output for each key you hit.
There are some output exemples of xev in this thread.

that's all !

Enjoy ;-)

Mustard
October 28th, 2005, 04:01 AM
I like this one. :)

No6
October 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Great! :roll:

I've been using xbindkeys... Ah well you learn something new everyday. :-)

bionnaki
October 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
anyway to make a keyboard shortcut that'll show hidden files in nautilus? I'd like to change from control-H to something easier...

Gandalf
November 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM
Great TIP Thx,
I would like to add that i've added another shortcut <Alt>z to killall xkill in case you changed your mind and want to quit xkill without killing something..
and i have a question, on my laptop Fn + F6 suppose to lock my screen ( lock PC) but it does eject the DVD-ROM, anyone knows how to change this?

Thanks

frodon
November 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
You can manage that in System > Preferences > keyboard shortcut in the desktop section. There is an eject field and a lock screen field to specify keyboard shortcuts.

Happy to know that you like this small TIP ;)

Chris Tucker
November 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM
how do you add key codes? like my custom volume up is command 'volmute increase' and button code is 0xb0 ..

Chris Tucker
November 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM
nevermind, used another tutorial to add XF86 syms to my keys

frodon
November 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
nice !

May you put the link here for other users ?

Thanks

Chris Tucker
November 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
http://www.djlosch.com/tutorial_debian.php#pcm_volume_link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27039&highlight=metacity+key+codes
used those two to fix my problem where volume keys controlled Master (which affected nothing) to change to control PCM.

Hebus95
November 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
How to use the key between Ctrl and Alt ?:rolleyes: You know the key with a flag ?

I would create a win+E shortcut to launch nautilus.

frodon
November 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I think you should enter <Super_L>e, however run "xev" in a terminal it will tell you the keysim of each key you hit.

Hebus95
November 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
<Super_L> doesn't work, but I finally found how to do the trick :

use <Mod4> to create a shortcut with the Windows key.

It would be good to add a table with such equivalents in the wiki.

frodon
November 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Happy that you found what you was looking for :)

With my keyboard Super_L works but it might be different for some keyboards.
I don't think a table is needed in the wiki because xev is a tool which allow you to know the keysim of each key of the keyboard, then all you have to do to know the keysim (even for multimedie buttons) is to run xev and hit the wanted key.

0okami
December 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
1- Open GConf editor,....

ok, where do i find that GConf editor?

I checked my applications menu and didnt see that in there.
Checked:
system->pref, not there.
system->admini...not there.
applications->system tools... not there.

even tried running GConf in a terminal...

is there another name it might go by?
sorry, still new to this.

frodon
December 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
It's in Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor.

I will update the howto if it isn'e enough clear.

aysiu
December 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM
The command is actually
gconf-editor

0okami
December 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks! got it.

frodon
December 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks aysiu i will put your screenshot in the HowTo if you're ok ;)

aysiu
December 7th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks aysiu i will put your screenshot in the HowTo if you're ok ;) Sure thing.

0okami
December 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM
<Super_L> doesn't work, but I finally found how to do the trick :

use <Mod4> to create a shortcut with the Windows key.

It would be good to add a table with such equivalents in the wiki.

if you dont mind, could you clarify on the <Mod4> ?

i ran xev and i got:

KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3a00001,
root 0x113, subw 0x0, time 4022236, (565,168), root:(583,316),
state 0x50, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

Howevr, using <Super_L> does not trigger 3ddesk.
If i use <alt>F3, it triggers, so im sure my other settings are ok. Just not sure what Might be failing for <Super_L>

I tried putting in <Mod4> to test. No luck either.

===============edit===============

Never mind :D I got it working with Super_L without the <brackets> just plain:
Super_L

Thanks.

============end edit===============

Rinzwind
December 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Ookami: frodon has an e behind the <Super_l>

He says "<Super_L>e"?

Nevertheless I didn't get it working with <Super_L>e or <Super_L> :D

frodon
December 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Strange, it works without any problems for me.

I will check that tomorow after my job because i'm not in front ubuntu now (in front of red hat at work now lol).
However i will update the HowTo the next week, i think, i will add another way to bind keys which i also use, the tool is called xbindkey.

EDIT : I just see your edit Ookami, glad it works for you too, i will also add that in the guide because many people like to use the windows key.

0okami
December 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
EDIT : I just see your edit Ookami, glad it works for you too, i will also add that in the guide because many people like to use the windows key.

Tell you the truth, i've never used the windows key untill now. Not even in windows ;) 3ddesktop gives me a good reason to use it. :)

Rinzwind
December 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM
This is what I made of it:

http://www.warofemperium.com/pics/snapshot1.png
http://www.warofemperium.com/pics/snapshot2.png

But the stupid key doesn't want to open firefox.

And yes you can abuse these pics too ;)

0okami
December 7th, 2005, 11:45 AM
This is what I made of it:
But the stupid key doesn't want to open firefox.

interesting. run xev in the terminal, press that windows key and post us what the details say in the terminal.

Rinzwind
December 7th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I get this

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 2399688, (882,-241), root:(885,426),
state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 2399759, (882,-241), root:(885,426),
state 0x40, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,

So I'd say I did it correctly.

Hebus95
December 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ctrl <=> <Control> or <Ctrl>
Alt <=> <Alt> or <Mod1> or <meta>
Alt Gr <=> <Mod5>
Win <=> <Mod4> or <super> or <hyper>
Shift <=> <Shift>
Menu <=> <menu>

Hebus95
December 7th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Depending on what you want to do you will use Super_L/Super_R or <Mod4>.
Use <Mod4> if the win key is associated with another key. example : <Mod4>e
You consider here that win is a shift key.
When you use Super_L the win key lost this behaviour. You can use Super_L to popup a menu for exemple.
Only for experimental purpose try : <Mod4>Super_R :smile:

amokoura
December 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Pressing the left Winbutton tells me this:

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x3a00001,
root 0x48, subw 0x3a00002, time 83486908, (52,31), root:(766,280),
state 0x10, keycode 115 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,

root 0x48, subw 0x3a00002, time 83487171, (52,31), root:(766,280),

So I guess it's not possible to use it for keyboard shortcuts. The right Winbutton works ok, though..

frodon
December 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
The HowTo has been updated !

Mustard
December 14th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I just thought I would mention that xbindkeys-config 0.1.3-1 is in the universe repository (for warty, hoary, breezy and dapper), so its installable using apt-get.

It comes up as a suggested install when you use apt-get to install xbindkeys.

Is the command to start the gui using this command a typo?

xbindkeys_config ?

because after installing using apt-get I used this command to start the gui

xbindkeys-config

frodon
December 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Yep you're right, i wrote it yesterday before going to sleep ;)

I will update the guide.

thanks

EDIT : strange for me the command is really xbindkeys_config but i don't use the ubuntu package

diffuser78
January 3rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
That was good help

The goal of this small HOWTO is to create a custom keyboard shortcut to run a software (like xmms, 3ddesk, ...) or what command line you want (xkill, transset 0.5, ...). Personally i use this trick to launch xkill, different values of transset and also alltray.

A- Using xbindkeys, works for each desktop (KDE, GNOME, XFCE, ...)

1- First install xbindkeys :
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys

2- Install xbindkeys-config, it's a GTK frontend for xbindkeys so it' easy to configure xbindkeys with that.
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys-config

3- Configuration
Launch xbindkeys :
xbindkeysThen launch the GUI :
xbindkeys-configAnd then enjoy how it's easy to configure shortcuts with this GUI ;)

B- Using metacity (the default GNOME window manager)
In the example i give, i want to start xkill (graphical kill) using "Alt + a" shortcut.
You will see some screenshots from aysiu at the bottom of the post.

1- Open GConf editor (Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor), go to apps -> metacity -> keybinding_commands, and now choose a command, for my example I choose command_1. Edit command_1 writing xkill in order to run xkill (or every command you want to launch like in a terminal).

2- In the same directory go to global_keybindings. Edit command_1 (or the command you choose in part 1) with the wanted shortcut like that : <Alt>a (to use the windows key just edit the field with Super_L)

Misc
If you are looking for the name a key, the tool xev will help you. Just type xev in a terminal then you will see an output for each key you hit.
There are some output exemples of xev in this thread.

that's all !

Enjoy ;-)

kuad
January 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Is it possible to create a shortcut that will open the Logout dialog (instead of having to click System > Logout) ? I can't figure out what command is executed when you click System > Logout. Thanks

robotgeek
January 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Pressing the left Winbutton tells me this:

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x3a00001,
root 0x48, subw 0x3a00002, time 83486908, (52,31), root:(766,280),

root 0x48, subw 0x3a00002, time 83487171, (52,31), root:(766,280),

So I guess it's not possible to use it for keyboard shortcuts. The right Winbutton works ok, though..
Try changing your keyboard layout from Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout Tab

Havoc
January 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
You think I could map the "Mouse Wheel Up" and "Mouse Wheel Down" Actions to commands?

Here's the output...

ButtonPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
root 0x132, subw 0x0, time 10908339, (112,177), root:(132,248),
state 0x0, button 4, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
root 0x132, subw 0x0, time 10908339, (112,177), root:(132,248),
state 0x800, button 4, same_screen YES

...for the mouse wheel up "button".Since this is quite cryptic to me, could someone elaborate for me?
I've tried "button 4" and "<button 4>" but no go.
Please?

Thanks! :cool:

frodon
January 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Not sure that Mouse Wheel up/down alone will work good or be a good idea, however i use some shortcuts like Ctrl + Mouse Wheel up to run some commands without any problems using xbindkeys.
Do you really need to use mouse wheel up/down alone, because you might get some conflicts with some apps.

Havoc
January 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Yes, I was meaning to use <Ctrl><Shift> and mouse up "button" to invoke the "transset-df --inc 0.1" command and likewise on the Mouse wheel down "button".

So, your answer was, use "xbindkeys"? :confused:

Thanks for the quick answer.

frodon
January 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
It's what i did because i found it easier (more fast) to set so i didn't try with metacity but it should work too, follow the part A of the guide it will take you 2 min to get it work. Xbindkeys is really light and powerful and don't depend on any window manager.
Another link if you want to edit the file by hand (but i prefer the GUI ;) ) : http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Tranparency#transset-df

Havoc
January 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Dammit!

Thanks! Thank you for your quick and informational posts!

Off to eyecandy kingdom! :D

mell0w
February 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
sorry for the newb question, but what do i enter as a value if i just want to open a directory folder?

OneSeventeen
February 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
sorry for the newb question, but what do i enter as a value if i just want to open a directory folder?
I use:

nautilus /path/to/file --browser

(--browser is optional, but it makes it more legible to me!)

OneSeventeen
February 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Not sure that Mouse Wheel up/down alone will work good or be a good idea, however i use some shortcuts like Ctrl + Mouse Wheel up to run some commands without any problems using xbindkeys.
Do you really need to use mouse wheel up/down alone, because you might get some conflicts with some apps.
Any tips on how to do this? When I use "get keys" and hold down control and move the mouse wheel up, it displays the following:
Control + Control_L | m:0x4 + c:37

Then when I apply it, and hold down control and move the mouse wheel up, it does nothing.

If I use get keys to do any other non-mouse related combination, it works just fine.

Is there any other software I need to include to get it working? (the mouse wheel does work in other apps)

mell0w
February 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
thanks for your help OneSeventeen :)

one more thing, is it possible to make a shortcut key that slides the panel bar close or open?

frodon
February 3rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Any tips on how to do this? When I use "get keys" and hold down control and move the mouse wheel up, it displays the following:
Control + Control_L | m:0x4 + c:37

Then when I apply it, and hold down control and move the mouse wheel up, it does nothing.

If I use get keys to do any other non-mouse related combination, it works just fine.

Is there any other software I need to include to get it working? (the mouse wheel does work in other apps)Strange, i have no problem with that, did you tried to restart xbindkeys ?

However if you're ok to edit the xbindkey.rc file to add your shortcuts, this exemple will show you how to edit the file to use Ctrl + mouse wheel but it would have work with "get keys" :
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Tranparency#transset-df

BitTorrentBuddha
February 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
when running this command, I get the output
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.free.fr breezy/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.free.fr_pub_Distributions%5fLinux_plf_ubuntu_p lf_dists_breezy_free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.free.fr breezy/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.free.fr_pub_Distributions%5fLinux_plf_ubuntu_p lf_dists_breezy_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems is there a way to fix this? (I've already run sudo apt-get update)

Just pressed on and ignored those messages, I would still like to know how to fix it or if it's causing any trouble, because I see it everytime I have to download anything... but now I have xbindkeys-config open, what is the command that opens the gui "run command" prompt? (the one like the "run application" panel addition, not gksuexec)

frodon
February 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
You get this message because the path to the plf repository you use is perhaps broken, so don't worry plf is just an extra repository which contain mainly proprietary codecs that you shoud have installed already.
So you can ignore these messages.

When you say "the gui run command", do you mean what you get by pressing Alt+F2 ?

BitTorrentBuddha
February 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM
yeah, is there a command for that?
and also is there a way to determine if somethings running, then do ____ (e.g. control+esc = xkill, but if i press contro+esc again = killall xkill)

frodon
February 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
I don't remeber the command but it should be gnome-****** i will search this evening.
For you second question i would create a script and make a shortcut to launch the script.
The script would look like that :
#!/bin/bash
a=`ps -aef | grep -i xkill| awk ' {if ($8 == "xkill"){printf "2"}} '`
if [[ $a = "" ]]
then
xkill &
else
killall xkill
fiMake the scripts executable :
sudo chmod +x the_scriptAnd use the full path of the script as command for the shortcut and the trick is done.

BitTorrentBuddha
February 22nd, 2006, 03:34 AM
out of blatent curiosity where would I go about learning shell script?

Super King
February 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Awesome HowTo, now my old friend Ctrl-Alt-Delete is back!:mrgreen:

Ancalagon
March 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Super King,

Did you figure out a way to make Ctrl-Alt-Delete pull up the logout menu, or do you just have those keys bound to something like:

shutdown -h now

Thanks!

binarysleeper
April 1st, 2006, 03:29 AM
If you are using KDE you can use this command to bring up the logout screen:
dcop kdesktop KDesktopIface logout

HTH

Bubba Ho-Tep
April 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Errrr I hope I'm posting in right place for this - I've a problem getting this to work.

I'm trying to get gnome terminal to open with the Windows key -

when I hit "Get Key" the terminal i opened xbindkeys-config with reports "Operation not permitted". Despite this xbindkeys spawns a window asking me to choose a key. I do this and it captures this:

Mod4 + Super_R | m:0x40 + c:116 (ie my windows key)

If I hit "Run Action" then sure enough it opens a terminal. But when I save and close xbindkeys-config - it does nothing.

Er my Linux knowledge is pretty small at the mo so my only idea is that it's something to do with permissions on the er thingummy. I looked at .xbindkeysrc - and I'm the owner with read/write permissions so er I dunno...

I also tried mapping opening a terminal to another key but no joy.

Can anyone help?

BH-T

gmcle454
May 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Thanks, I had no idea what the keystroke value was for the windows key. I could see the <Mod4> but I think <Super_L> / <Super_R> may be an unnecessary tribute to "the other os." :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for the help!

searayman
June 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM
installed it and opened it once, but didnt understand it. ANywho i went to open it a second time and got this:

mike@mike-desktop:~$ xbindkeys
Error : /home/mike/.xbindkeysrc not found or reading not allowed.
please, create one with 'xbindkeys --defaults > /home/mike/.xbindkeysrc'.
or, if you want scheme configuration style,
with 'xbindkeys --defaults-guile > /home/mike/.xbindkeysrc.scm'.
mike@mike-desktop:~$

any ideas?

also if we get it workign could u help me make a keybind for the windows key? i want the windows key to run the command: 3ddesk

armandg
August 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
(...)So I guess it's not possible to use it for keyboard shortcuts. The right Winbutton works ok, though..

I'm using norwegian keyboard (with æ, ø and å-keys) and had to set shortcut-key to Select for some reason. try that. ;)
EDIT: this was concerning the left win-button

BramKuijper
August 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Instead of xbindkeys, I am trying to use the Keyboard Shortcuts Manager under System > Preferences to make a shortcut.

As soon as I try to press a key which is anything besides a function key, Alt, Delete, Shift...
GNOME's 'find string' box appears at the lower right end of the list and blocks any further typing, so that I cannot assign anything to K, L, M or combinations of Alt+K, Alt+M, etc...

I assume this is a bug, or totally expected behavior? ](*,)

malcolm1234
December 18th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Super King,

Did you figure out a way to make Ctrl-Alt-Delete pull up the logout menu, or do you just have those keys bound to something like:

shutdown -h now

Thanks!

I'm trying to bind a key to the logout menu.

I tried System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts and then setting a key for Logout, but the key doesn't respond. Any ideas?

cha0s
February 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
What key was it, malcolm1234? When I was doing this I accidentally set the wrong key, and it worked (luckily I could cancel :P)

Just wanted to say thanks =) This helps me a Lot.

403jungle
October 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, I had no idea what the keystroke value was for the windows key. I could see the <Mod4> but I think <Super_L> / <Super_R> may be an unnecessary tribute to "the other os." :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for the help!

I removed the logo on the button. I haven't been able to put a ubuntu logo in place of it yet though.

:)

coelhao
December 29th, 2007, 07:23 AM
hey on gnome how do I bind <Mod4>T to open a terminal window...
i got it to open using xterm but its quite ugly, I want the cute terminal just like when I click Applications->Accessories->Terminal... what is the command?

anyways how do I know what comands the shortcut in the application menu execute?

KrazyPenguin
February 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
If you wanted to retreive these settings for a fresh install, where might they be stored??

(saves having to tweaks all those commands again)

;-)

dingclancy
April 17th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hello!

How do yo uninstall xbindkeys?

Thanks!

frodon
April 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Like your other programs using synaptic or apt-get directly.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Jphenow
April 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
hey i was trying to do this and found out whenever i do sudo i get this
sudo: unable to resolve host phenow-desktop

any ideas??

thanks guys

kevin66
April 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM
How do you uninstall?

frodon
April 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Scroll up 2 times, post #66

demonzrulaz
July 13th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hey guys, I'm using a laptop so I only have one windows key. I tried the command xev and pressed the windows key and this is what I got:

state 0x40, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,

I want to be able to use the windows key in combination with other keys, like Win+T = Terminal, Win+R = Gnome-Do, Win+E = Nautilus, etc. I tried <Mod4>T but that doesn't work. <Super>T and <Super_L>T definately doesn't work and Super_L by itself works but I can't use any extra buttons. Can you guys help? Thanks in advance.

airjaw
September 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hey guys.. I set up a shortcut to open up terminal but I actually want the shortcut to open up Konsole..

I tried xbindkeys but it won't run for some reason. T his is the error:

airjaw@airjaw-laptop:~$ xbindkeys
Error : /home/airjaw/.xbindkeysrc not found or reading not allowed.
please, create one with 'xbindkeys --defaults > /home/airjaw/.xbindkeysrc'.
or, if you want scheme configuration style,
with 'xbindkeys --defaults-guile > /home/airjaw/.xbindkeysrc.scm'.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Teonline
October 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hello, i am using compiz as window manager so i can't use metacity's bindings. I downloaded xbindkeys and his gui. I tried with the gui and all worked fine until i restart my pc, all my shortcuts deleted (or i suppose so). I tried also gediting the xbindkeysrc file but nothing hppened.
If i digit:

xbindkeys -s
i get this return:

Error in alocation of keys

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!:)

steve101101
November 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
worked great to get the brightness changed on my sony vaio. thanks.

lukjad
November 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
will have to try it.

jastonas
December 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM
i think gconf editor is just fine compared to messy xbindkeys :)
xkill rulz!

gabrielshier
May 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Extremely helpful!
Thanks alot! :p

toejamfootball
June 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM

unimatrix
June 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Can I do something like this with xbindkeys:

m:0x10 + b:10 + b:14
Well, obviously this doesn't work or I wouldn't be asking, but how do I do it?
I want to bind a combination of two mouse buttons to trigger something.

unimatrix
June 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Ok I've found one hacky way to do this.

# Toggle mouse modifier:
"echo 1 > ~/.mymousemod"
m:0x10 + b:10

# Untoggle mouse modifier:
"echo 0 > ~/.mymousemod"
m:0x10 + b:10 + Release

# Volume Up:
"if [ "`cat ~/.mymousemod`" -eq "1" ]; then aumix -v+5 ; fi"
m:0x10 + b:14

# Volume Down:
"if [ "`cat ~/.mymousemod`" -eq "1" ]; then aumix -v-5 ; fi"
m:0x10 + b:13

This will make a virtual modifier key. The state will be written in ~/.mymousemod as 1 or 0. 1 meaning the modifier is pressed, and 0 that it is not. Before executing the command on another mouse button, just check whether the 'modifier' is pressed.

Here's a new problem though. Binding any key with xbindkeys will override its main function. Is there any way to bind it to something and still let it do what it originally does?

Trogdole
July 31st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Gonna sound like a total noob right now, but how do I know what to put for the action? Are these terminal commands or what? I'm new to Ubuntu, but this would be beyond me in Windows too. For instance, I want a global shortcut to pause/play Songbird. But I have no idea what that action is, or how to find it. Any help? Point me in the right direction? Tell me I'm in over my head? Thanks.

unimatrix
August 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Gonna sound like a total noob right now, but how do I know what to put for the action? Are these terminal commands or what? I'm new to Ubuntu, but this would be beyond me in Windows too. For instance, I want a global shortcut to pause/play Songbird. But I have no idea what that action is, or how to find it. Any help? Point me in the right direction? Tell me I'm in over my head? Thanks.

Yes, they are commands that you would normally type into the terminal. By default you cannot control Songbird from terminal (no play/pause/... parameters), however I've found an addon that makes it possible: http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1381

With this addon you get songbird parameters such as play, stop, previous...
You can test them by typing them into the terminal this way:

songbird --pause
This is also the command you would put into your .xbindkeysrc file.
If by some reason it doesn't work, you can also try using the full path to songbird:

/usr/bin/songbird --pause
Of course, instead of pause you can use other parameters too. They are listed on the addon site I've posted.

celem
November 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
frodon - thank you so much. The keybindings were so arcane. Now I have concurred my keyboard!

WannabeFantasma
February 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cool I found this :D

might test this out!

wmhunter96
April 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Great job thanks a video would be nice 2 :lolflag:

schmendrick
November 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
just wanted to say thanks, xbindkeys solved all my problems!

DarkSideKlyde
March 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the tip about xkeybinds. I couldn't figure out how to use the program at first. When I pressed the 'Get Key' button, the program closed. I Googled it and got this:

xbindkeys --defaults > $HOME/.xbindkeysrc
xbindkeys won't work without this.]

from this page : http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6401/2/

After I created the configuration file as stated above and the program worked as it should. Hope this helps somebody.

swajime
December 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
I've got a dell inspiron n5510. It has 3 buttons to the top right of the keyboard that I've been trying unsuccessfully to set up. The xev is not responding to them.

The left button opens the DASH home window.
The middle button adds "atkbd serio: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xee on isa0060/serio0). atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e6e <keycode>' to make it known." to kern.log and syslog. The right button does nothing.

They should be Settings, Support, & Display On/Off.

Thanks,

John