PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] KDE4 Questions

sixstorm
May 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Alright, I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 and I have a few questions about a few quirks lol.

1) I found out how to run system settings in "sudo" mode but I really don't wanna type the command in constantly. Is there a way I can make it run in Administrator Mode all the time? Is this just a flaw with KDE4?

2) I've been trying to customize my panels and taskbars, but the settings won't reflect my current desktop, even if I reboot. What gives?

This is all I have for right now, but I do wanna get some answers soon. Thanks community, you rock!

EDIT: NM, apparently KDE4 sucks balls right now. I'm going to KDE3.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
As far as number one goes, that's a really bad idea. I mean, a really, really bad idea. If you're just doing terminal work, you can launch a root shell with

sudo -s

but one of the primary security things that frustrates us about Windows is how it makes the first account an administrator by default (prior to Vista, with no password no less!), and most people run off of that.

And yes, KDE4 sucks balls. You still can configure stuff, it's just quite a bit more difficult. We're waiting on 4.1.