PDA

View Full Version : Is GRUB a necessary piece of software?

Luke has no name
May 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
If I am only installing one OS on one disk, do I need GRUB?

When I install FreeBSD, it asks if I want to have GRUB installed on my MBR, hard drive, or not at all. When I choose not at all, the OS still boots fine.

Is this true for Linux as well? Could I just as well not have GRUB if I don't need to dual boot?

p_quarles
May 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
You don't need GRUB, but you need a bootloader. There are others that work just fine. GRUB is a nice and relatively easy-to-use tool for booting multiple OSes, but it's not built-in to anything.

Npl
May 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
If you intend on using (K)Ubuntu, then you will have an easier time using GRUB. Kernel-Updates automatically update the grub-configuration - if you dont have GRUB, but some other Bootloader (aint working without) then you will have to manually tell it to load the new Kernel.

PS. you can disable the GRUB-Menu at boot altogether, so its not like it you should care much for what Bootloader you are using

p_quarles
May 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM
If you intend on using (K)Ubuntu, then you will have an easier time using GRUB. Kernel-Updates automatically update the grub-configuration - if you dont have GRUB, but some other Bootloader (aint working without) then you will have to manually tell it to load the new Kernel.

PS. you can disable the GRUB-Menu at boot altogether, so its not like it you should care much for what Bootloader you are using
Debian's kernel management system will automatically update LILO as well.

EDIT: And, of course, Debian's system is used by downstream distros such as Ubuntu, as well.