PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Fedora passed Ubuntu @ Distrowatch!

cespinal
May 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
yup...Fedora has been the most visited Distro in the last seven days...

Do you know about Fedora doing things better than Ubuntu? :P

vishzilla
May 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
The big guns will cause a stir in the months to come, next on the run is OpenSuse

will1911a1
May 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
But over the last 6 months it's still had much less...

eragon100
May 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
When I look trough the default programs list for fedora 9 it's a hardy ripoff, so at least it isn't bad :lolflag:

seatex
May 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Oh darn. I must have picked the wrong distro!

I'm gonna switch to Fedora now.

just kidding :biggrin:

MONODA
May 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM
When I look trough the default programs list for fedora 9 it's a hardy ripoff, so at least it isn't bad
what do ou mean, most of the things in hardy were already in fedora 8...

agim
May 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I like fedora a lot, I have been using 9 for the last couple of days almost exclusively.

It does seem like a more responsive system, but it also uses a lot more ram on my computer.

And nothing beats Synaptic.

Its a lot of fun trying to learn selinux though!

Anyway, of course its #1 on distrowatch right now, they just had a major release, a delayed release at that, which gave more people time to find out about it.

Xbehave
May 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Now if only it used apt id give it a try

SomeGuyDude
May 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Every time a new version of a big-time distro comes out, it tops the list for a little while. Mint had the top spot when Daryna came out, Fedora 9 earns the numba 1 spot for now, I figure OpenSUSE 11 will stick it up there for a while.

graabein
May 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Congrats to Fedora. I think it's healthy that more than one distro is doing good.

ice60
May 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
When I look trough the default programs list for fedora 9 it's a hardy ripoff, so at least it isn't bad :lolflag:
well, you can say ubuntu rips off suse because they developed and contibuted much more to Xgl and Compiz (??) OOo, mono, banshee, gnome (Ximian), evolution, AppArmor, Beagle and loads of other stuff too.

swoll1980
May 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
So

ssam
May 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
installing now on my thinkpad. not sure how long i'll stick with it, but its good to try other things.

Networkmanager 0.7 is probably the most exciting thing.

ice60
May 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
So

why do people keep posting one word posts after i post something?

if you are talking to me ask the guy i quoted why he said it first, i was just copying him.

NightwishFan
May 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I like Fedora a lot, especially the live cd installer, but it feels clunky and unfriendly by default. I guess I am just used to Ubuntu OpenSUSE and Puppy, though.

Half-Left
May 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Obvious really because it's just been released, alot will drop off it when they realize the nvidia/Ati driver dont work yet.

swoll1980
May 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
why do people keep posting one word posts after i post something?

if you are talking to me ask the guy i quoted why he said it first, i was just copying him.

It was in response to the title of the thread. Like so what most people that want Ubuntu go to Ubuntu.com to get it. Those distro watch stats don't mean anything

Swarms
May 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Indeed, Distrowatch doesn't indicate anything, not that it matters, Fedora could be a more popular system if it was up to me, I just like Ubuntu more.

el mariachi
May 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I like fedora a lot, I have been using 9 for the last couple of days almost exclusively.

It does seem like a more responsive system, but it also uses a lot more ram on my computer.

And nothing beats Synaptic.

Its a lot of fun trying to learn selinux though!

Anyway, of course its #1 on distrowatch right now, they just had a major release, a delayed release at that, which gave more people time to find out about it.
I like Pacman better :D

bobbocanfly
May 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Fedora was the first distro i ever tried, back at version 4. Havent been keeping up with their releases. Going to try a LiveCD but i cant see myself moving away from Ubuntu.

agim
May 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I hear pacman is pretty good. I plan on installing and configuring arch next time I get a chance. My compaq can be tough to configure even with ubuntu and fedora, so I am a little apprehensive.

ghindo
May 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
It was in response to the title of the thread. Like so what most people that want Ubuntu go to Ubuntu.com to get it. Those distro watch stats don't mean anything+1