PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed the support forums have been slower lately.

zenwhen
December 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Who else thinks this is a good thing? I was thinking about it and really, it seems say a lot about the qualitty of the distro and it's ease of use. The forums are linked on the Ubuntu main page, Ubuntu is the 9th most downloaded distro, and the install is easy.

So people are running Ubuntu, even registering on these forums, and they aren't asking the same questions over and over and aren't completely helpless.

I think this is because so much of the hard work is out of the way by default with Ubuntu. I think it speaks highly of the dev team's work to make Ubuntu "ready for the desktop".

Am I nuts?

Rene_S
December 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Nuts no, observant perhaps. II think the way the community and the devel team is progressing is making the Ubuntu Experience easier in general. Maybe its just that Gnome works nicer and has less crap in it to mess up.

Too hard to say really.

Xian
December 14th, 2004, 02:44 AM
From the forum front page:

Most users ever online was 672, Today at 03:09 PM.

jdong
December 14th, 2004, 02:49 AM
That was actually a case of spider hammering, by our beloved search engines.

ubuntu-geek
December 14th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Forums always have their busy and non busy times. :)

Xian
December 14th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Forums always have their busy and non busy times. :)
It's the holidays. Things always slow down on most forums around this time.

bob k
December 14th, 2004, 09:54 AM
I think it's due to all of the hard work that everybody has put into this release up front to solve the big problems. The howto's are great and if it ain't there a quick search will usually handle it.

I think we will see more action in the art and programming forums now that most people have there system work done and the noobs have it all laid out for them.

The hardware forum will get real active after Xmas (a bunch of USB, printer, sound and video card problems)
but that wont last long.

Everybody should be proud, for a first release of this size, it went very very .... GOOD. My system is so stable that I haven't logged on my windows machine, other than to run my accounting package.

Merry Xmas and new year's cheer

Bob

mr_ed
December 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Who else thinks this is a good thing? I was thinking about it and really, it seems say a lot about the qualitty of the distro and it's ease of use. The forums are linked on the Ubuntu main page, Ubuntu is the 9th most downloaded distro, and the install is easy.

So people are running Ubuntu, even registering on these forums, and they aren't asking the same questions over and over and aren't completely helpless.

I think this is because so much of the hard work is out of the way by default with Ubuntu. I think it speaks highly of the dev team's work to make Ubuntu "ready for the desktop".

Am I nuts?

No, I don't think you're nuts. Especially since there's the people who put up those great howtos. Some of them cover 99% of problems I've had.

mattyh
December 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I think it is the combination of a lot of the bugs and problems being already dealt with in the forums, so a lot of people don't need to ask new questions. I know for me, I'm not online much because I'm in the middle of finals week :(

Lovechild
December 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM
That was actually a case of spider hammering, by our beloved search engines.
So... I, for one, welcome my google overlord?

jdodson
December 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
The hardware forum will get real active after Xmas (a bunch of USB, printer, sound and video card problems)
but that wont last long.

that is very interesting, something i had not considered. that will be fun to watch:)

i think it does have to do with the howtos and people figuring out how to use forum search. when hoary gets released, i think the cycle will start over again, however i think people will be a bit wiser and more people will jump onboard for howtos. many questions will already have been answered(like multimedia, etc). however hoary contains some drastic changes, like xorg, it will be really jumpin around here for awhile. i think starting with the preview release to the actual release.