PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Lost add/remove aplications and more problems

Cheetho
May 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I have Fedora 5 installed on my pc, with gnome.
Somehow i manage to make disappear the aplicattion to add or remove programs of the whole computer!

After that i search for and answer, the only suggestion that i got was to install apt-get or synaptic. So i did it and installed both, after a lot of troubles searching for the necessary lib and dependencies.

But when i try to make an update or upgrade (#apt-get update, #apt-get upgrade)or even when i want to start synaptic or use apt-get to install anything, it launch some errors like:

E: Type 'deb' is not known in on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

And trying to edit the sources.list (sudo gedit etc/apt/sources.list) eliminating the line with trouble or adding # before the line, i only get the same error but in the next line.

I think that my pc does not support deb files, but i really don't know what to do now. A little help please! I only want to install and administrate the programs that i have, besides, i have to install everything by commands in the terminal, i would like to have something much friendly to use.

Pd: The sources that i have are from the site: http://www.elrincondetolito.com/software-libre-mainmenu-31/16-software-libre/40-completisimo-sourceslist-para-ubuntu-edgy.html this is because my sources.list was empty.

wpshooter
May 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Why don't you simply try Ubuntu with Gnome ?

Cheetho
May 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
But that implies to re-install the system, and this is a pc from my work, i only want to make it work. And i don't want to lost the configs that i have made.

¿There is no solution for my problem?

mick222
May 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM
apt get and synaptic are for debian based systems you need something like Yast maybe bettere to post in other opaerating systems or fedora forums

Cheetho
May 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
So there is no help that i can get from here? Thanks finally a straight answer, Bye

mick222
May 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
fedora 5 is no longer supported cant you back up your files and install the latest fedora or Ubuntu

Cheetho
May 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
What do you mean with no supported? So i can't use a previous version? that's a lame, Fedora 8 or 9 is too much for my pc, it will get too slow.

mick222
May 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
whats your specs you could install something like damn small linux or the xfce version of ubuntu

Cheetho
May 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ok, i appreciate your concern, i will keep looking for an answer a couple of day more, and if i don't see a clue, i will emigrate to other system like Ubuntu. I don't know why, but almost everything is made for Ubuntu, so i will walk that way.