PDA

View Full Version : Would u sell ubuntu OS?

sharks
May 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
If u r the owner of Ubuntu , would u sell ubuntu OS for atleast 10$ or give it for free?

will1911a1
May 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
If I had to buy Ubuntu I would've just skipped it for a free distro.

I'd give it away.

kk0sse54
May 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think it's right that people sell any linux distribution for example Red Hat, or Linspire, or Mandriva although each company offers a free alternative that works great like Fedora, Freespire, or Mandriva One. I would definitely give it away.

GolanTrevize
May 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I would not pay for Ubuntu but search another free distribution. If I were a company and needed the stuff in a big environment without trying to risk my job, propably I'd prefer something like the RedHat subscriptions with support.
But you don't buy RedHat either - only their support subscriptions for so and so many machines (which is the practically the same)

toupeiro
May 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The distro would be free, but I would not feel bad about charging for my time and materials.

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's right that people sell any linux distribution for example Red Hat, or Linspire, or Mandriva although each company offers a free alternative that works great like Fedora, Freespire, or Mandriva One. I would definitely give it away.

Well both Red Hat and Mandriva do have viable reasons to sell their distributions, especially Mandriva as if you buy its powerpack version it pays for the codecs and proprietary codecs that come along with it... and Red Hat usually uses its money for developers.

kk0sse54
May 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yea I agree with you but for the average user I think there is no reason to pay money for Red Hat or Mandriva powerpack

rune0077
May 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
It, and all software for it, being free, was a big part of my reason to try Linux in the first place. Even though I were skeptical, I figured "what the hell, I'll give it a try, it's not going to cost me anything". I then found I liked it and has since removed Windows from my computer. I think, if I had had to pay for it, I would never have given it a chance.

So I'm all for it being free.

enchantedsky
May 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The distro would be free, but I would not feel bad about charging for my time and materials.

I agree fully, the OS is free, but my time is worth money ------ I would sell support if it took my over an hour to solve someone's problem. Basic things like enabling the restricted driver and setting the resolution would be free though.

Fenris_rising
May 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i think its for free so id give it free. buti have no problem
with charging for my time if they need help. if your a large corperate or a middling sized company then i think you should pay for the support at least or even make a donation specific to the OS you install.

unisol
May 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
as much as i like using ubuntu, i probably would have tried another free distro.

aysiu
May 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I might sell nice packaging, CD repositories of software, and/or instruction manuals, but not the software itself.

Luke has no name
May 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't pay. Not that I don't think it's worth it, but the way the question is phrased, it implies that it would be a closed-source project.

Canonical is doing what it can to make money, offering top-notch support (so they say?) and selling premium software, like their Landscape management software. P.S., I don't like subscriptions, I'd rather just buy the license and be done with it. I guess [Landscape] likes a secure stream of funds, though.

EDIT: Now if we're talking about packaging it and putting a nice label on the CD, then yes, I would have no problem buying/selling it to support the project. In fact... hm, maybe I'll start selling Ubuntu! (Er, the packaging, of course.)

RWells
May 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Kinda off topic I guess, but I was wondering about paying the $900 for Ubuntu support?

I have been struggling with installation on two machines for about three weeks now with no luck.

Does any one have any experience with this ?

aysiu
May 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Kinda off topic I guess, but I was wondering about paying the $900 for Ubuntu support?

I have been struggling with installation on two machines for about three weeks now with no luck.

Does any one have any experience with this ?
I think that support is mainly for companies and not home users. Perhaps, if the online forums aren't helpful enough, you might find a Linux Users Group in your area? Sometimes in-person can help can move things along faster.

P.S. I looked at the two threads you started, and it appears people have been helping you. It also appears you're not trying to do a typical installation - something about test servers and remote accounts with virtualization or something?

public_void
May 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
If Ubuntu was boxed with a manual then I can understand selling it to cover the costs, possibly with a small profit to support the Ubuntu infrastructure i.e. servers, etc. It would be interesting to see how much boxed Ubuntu would realistically sell for.

eragon100
May 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I would sell it for 35 euro's to people who don't know it's free. It's not illegal and it means

MONEY MONEY MONEY $$$ :)

toni_uk
May 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
well, difficult question. Is it worth money, yes. It provides a benefit to the users which could be calculated as value in cash. Yes, it costs companies money to provide manpower and other resources to build and ditribute the Distro. Yes, potentially other distros that charge could be build on the free Distro. Ubuntu is based on Debian - Debian might want some reward for their efforts.

But no, it should be free even from an economic/accounting point of view. Ubuntu is not Microsoft. IThe more users of a distro such as Ubuntu the more money a company supporting it will receive through services offered.

A dsitro heavily relies on free volunteer developers and free UAT. Starting to charge might alianate these free resources and turn UBUNTU into Microsoft.

kevin11951
May 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM
if i were to buy a distro (ie. ubuntu), i would expect it to come in cd/dvd form, and come with some professional support, anything short of that, then no!

nnamdi
May 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
if ubuntu were to be sold i would'nt have bothered my self about beside ubuntu is what it is today because it is free so fellas support open source and make it better

"microsucks" lol

RWells
May 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think that support is mainly for companies and not home users. Perhaps, if the online forums aren't helpful enough, you might find a Linux Users Group in your area? Sometimes in-person can help can move things along faster.

P.S. I looked at the two threads you started, and it appears people have been helping you. It also appears you're not trying to do a typical installation - something about test servers and remote accounts with virtualization or something?

Ihave a home websever set up for playing with apache2 and cms, I have had really good luck with that.
I even have gui hacked into Ubuntu server.It has xorg problems but I just ignore them since they dont seem to becausing problems.

My problems are installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my two desktop machines.

The forums seem like a great place with really helpfull people.

But that is only benificial to me after the install, which is where Im having troubles.

aysiu
May 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
My problems are installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my two desktop machines.

The forums seem like a great place with really helpfull people.

But that is only benificial to me after the install, which is where Im having troubles. Post a support thread on it. I think you'll be surprised at how helpful people can be even before and during the installation process.

swoll1980
May 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM
No. It's hard enough to give away for free

sharks
May 16th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I ll give it for free.

Mhurst1
May 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I am not selling Kubuntu, but it is gonna be preloaded in the computers I sell :)

bigbrovar
May 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
on the contrary i buy and burn lots of empty cds and i take at least 3 with me in my laptop bag so that i can freely share