PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed instillation – Black screen on start up

kippa
May 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all

I am a fist time user of Ubuntu, made the switch from vista- as it was starting to irk me. I burnt a live CD with ubuntu 8.04, everything worked great as I was able to run it off the CD. As I decided to install it making it my premier operating system I ran into a bit of trouble during the partitioning part of instillation. It came up with an error (cant remember it off the top of my head). So I canceled the install process.

I decided to reboot, but found that nothing will come up. All I see after the initial load screen is a black screen with a grey flashing bar. It remains like this.

What I either need to achieve is get back into vista (doubtful) or reboot off the CD using Ubuntu (if that’s possible?) I have tried to re-boot from the DVD drive by pressing F2 and selecting it, but this does not seem to work.

I Have an Acer Aspire 5920

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pumalite
May 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Fix your Windows MBR with Super Grub:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html
Burn to disk and boot from it.
Boot your Ubuntu Live CD and post:
sudo fdisk -l

az
May 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi all

I am a fist time user of Ubuntu, made the switch from vista- as it was starting to irk me. I burnt a live CD with ubuntu 8.04, everything worked great as I was able to run it off the CD. As I decided to install it making it my premier operating system I ran into a bit of trouble during the partitioning part of instillation. It came up with an error (cant remember it off the top of my head). So I canceled the install process.

I decided to reboot, but found that nothing will come up. All I see after the initial load screen is a black screen with a grey flashing bar. It remains like this.

What I either need to achieve is get back into vista (doubtful) or reboot off the CD using Ubuntu (if that’s possible?) I have tried to re-boot from the DVD drive by pressing F2 and selecting it, but this does not seem to work.

I Have an Acer Aspire 5920

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you were once able to boot into the live cd, but now you cannot, it seems like a hardware problem.

kippa
May 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Fix your Windows MBR with Super Grub:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html
Burn to disk and boot from it.
Boot your Ubuntu Live CD and post:
sudo fdisk -l

So far so good. Thank you so much!

Pumalite
May 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Did you use Super grub?
Post the output I ask you for.