PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring learner seeks lively C tutorials for basic learning

Pirate King
May 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Uh, hey everyone.

Sorry if this a common thread but I couldn't really find anything on Google that I could use.

I just started using Ubuntu a few months ago, and I'd never used it before. I haven't used Windows at home since. Anyway, I'd really like to start making my own programs. My brother knows C, but he uses Windows so he uses Windows' libraries and doesn't know much about Linux's.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody knew some links (whether it's a website/torrent) to some good video tutorials for C in Linux, particularly the basics. I'm not very good with learning from books unfortunately.

Thanks in advance(sorry if this maybe belongs in the Beginner's section).

AngryBash
May 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know about video tutorials. But i learnt from here:

www.cprogramming.com

If you're programming core programs, like with printf() (or cout) and other basic text stuff, Windows code will work on Linux and vice versa (your brother should know this :D). If you're wanting to do 2D and 3D graphics stuff, may i recommend SDL. Some good tutorials for this over at:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

SDL is cross platform, which means Linux code works on Windows and vice versa. This is a good place to start once you know the basic C++ stuff.

Anyhoo, tell your brother to stop being a noob and ask him to teach you :D!

Delever
May 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
And I suggest using "GNU" instead of "Linux" when searching for tutorials ;)

nvteighen
May 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
The GNU C Programming Tutorial is really great: http://crasseux.com/books/ctutorial/

If you understand German, there's a great tutorial (aimed on GNU/Linux) here: http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~kboehm/ebook/inhalt.html. It's the best I've found to this date.

pmasiar
May 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
You are so right that this questions pops 3 times a week - we have FAQ about it.

Also I would not recommend starting with C. Python is much more gentle intro (less frustrating, accomplish more). See the sticky FAQ and my sig. Showmedo.com has many python screencast tutorials, if you like those more than books. C is not for beginners. Have fun!

Sinkingships7
May 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'll second AngryBash's opinion.

www.cprogramming.com is a great site and also has forums to help you out.

Can+~
May 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM
You are so right that this questions pops 3 times a week - we have FAQ about it.

Also I would not recommend starting with C. Python is much more gentle intro (less frustrating, accomplish more). See the sticky FAQ and my sig. Showmedo.com has many python screencast tutorials, if you like those more than books. C is not for beginners. Have fun!

I second that. You're just following C because your brother uses it, I have an older brother and I know how it feels, I followed him into C#, later I decided to follow my own path.

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I just started using Ubuntu a few months ago, and I'd never used it before. I haven't used Windows at home since. Anyway, I'd really like to start making my own programs. My brother knows C, but he uses Windows so he uses Windows' libraries and doesn't know much about Linux's.

Standard C is the same on all operating systems. The sticky has all you need.

As for your brother, if you want to amaze him, learn a language that can do more with less code. C is always good to know, and is one of the most popular languages, but it isn't something you'd want to use for everday tasks (assuming you are not a systems programmer or driver programmer everday)

Pirate King
May 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much.

I really had no idea where to start, these links will help me get started. =) I'm going to look at both C and Python, however Python does seem a lot less scary. I tend to unconsciously try to find excuses to not learn something when it goes over my head. I'm 15 and still have a lot to learn, and I want to be able to contribute to the Linux community in a few years as best I can.

I apologize for missing the FAQ completely. I shall go find it now. =)

Thanks again, everyone! My next holidays are gonna be busy!

pmasiar
May 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
As for your brother, if you want to amaze him, learn a language that can do more with less code.

That's good idea, Python can run in circles around any C in a simple task. I bet that your brother will thank you for pointing him to Python.