PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] AMD64 version - Pros and Cons

vivtho
May 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I own a HP Pavillion laptop with an AMD Turion64x2 processor. I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.04 on it without any problems so far (_knocks on wood_). The version of Ubuntu is the i386 edition rather than the AMD64 edition as I was not sure if other software is easily available for the 64-bit edition of Linux. I previously used Windows XP/Vista extensively and am aware of the dearth of software available for the 64bit versions of Windows.

So basically my questions are:

Are 64-bit versions of Linux software easily available?
If a 64-bit version of a software is not available, can a 32-bit version run on Ubuntu without modifications?
Are there any driver support issues with Ubuntu AMD64?
What kind of performance (or other) benefits can I expect if I reinstall Ubuntu AMD64?
Are there any other potential issues with Ubuntu AMD64 that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
V. Thomas

dt_matthews
May 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM
cant you just install 32-bit apps anyway (as with windows 64-bit versions) ?

vivtho
May 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM
cant you just install 32-bit apps anyway (as with windows 64-bit versions) ?
I don't know... that's kind of why I'm asking. :)

galileon
May 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428

vivtho
May 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428
Thanks! That answers all the questions that I had. I think I'll stick to the i386 edition for now.

galileon
May 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I've been using 64bits myself since i upgraded to gutsy, had no problems except for Flash not detecting my webcam, so I cant use it on utube, and java doesn't work so well in 64 bits.

otherwise everything else works fine.

the java problem is completely solved by running a 32bits firefox if and when i do need full java support for some website.

in 64bits, flash works perfectly well using some wrapperthingamy (it installs itself wen u choose flash from synaptic), except for the mentionned webcam problem.

webcam itself works fine in amsn.