PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean by 'polished'?

cardinals_fan
May 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I think that many of you use the term 'polished' when describing software differently from me. When I say polished, I mean that all the little stuff works and everything has been carefully thought through. Others seem to take it as a direct description of the software's looks. So what do you think?

acelin
May 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I think that many of you use the term 'polished' when describing software differently from me. When I say polished, I mean that all the little stuff works and everything has been carefully thought through. Others seem to take it as a direct description of the software's looks. So what do you think?

Both. Good looks are a part of an intuitive easy to use program.

NightwishFan
May 15th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Polished in my definition is when the application not nessecerily works flawlessly, but has many small features or lack of visible flaws. To put it simply, OpenSUSE 10.3 is much more polished than Ubuntu. (Although otherwise I dislike it) It has a refined splash, with a feature to switch to a more verbose command line view, and it has a few unique little things such as the ability to load a particular os automatically on next boot, etc (I am not saying that ubuntu can not get these but Suse has them by default)

FuturePilot
May 15th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I say it's both. It has to do with how the applications look and blend in together with the entire desktop. But it also has to do with integration. Meaning like drag and drop between applications and stuff like that.

LaRoza
May 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM

It means a nice glossy sheen, without smudges.

madjr
May 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Polish = iron the BUGS!

urukrama
May 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I call something polished if a lot of attention has been given to details, and all the components of the software are well thought out and developed, and the application forms a unified whole.