PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy 64 bit - Internet stopped working after update?

copyleft
May 15th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I think that after an Ubuntu update this afternoon, my internet stopped working. I installed the updates in the afternoon and when I rebooted several hours later, internet would not automatically sign on.

I have been using Hardy 64 bit since the day it was released without any wireless problems. When I click on the notification icon in the gnome panel, I can see the list of networks. When I click on my network, it just will not log on. It doesn't flash an error or anything.

It is not a network problem, as I am writing this on Hardy 32 bit on a Dell 1420n. This computer is having no problem whatsoever with internet.

copyleft
May 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Any ideas on this one?

I am really frustrated.

IFconfig is showing:

link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0e:2e:48:09:fd

Why Ethernet?

I am really lost here.

Guilden_NL
May 15th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Sorry mate. Wireless and Hardy don't mix. To top it off, adding 64 bit is lethal.

I've been warned about being banned for my open discussion about how poor Hardy is regarding wireless; it's a good two year backward leap.

I've pulled Ubuntu from all of our laptops and one wireless dependent desktop and moved to SUSE. I've been sitting on the sidelines watching any movement, but it is backwards to date, so am getting ready to bundle up SUSE for a home network distro and leave Ubuntu in my permanent past.

Sad about the negative 'tude here regarding real issues caused by this step backward in time for wireless.

copyleft
May 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, it is fixed, with Wicd, of course.

Two hours of messing with the gnome network manager thrown away. Then another hour moving my desktop, lcd, keyboard, etc. to an area near my modem for ethernet, connecting all of the hardware and plugging it in, installing Wicd, testing it, then moving it all back to the original location to reconnect.

Not my idea of fun. Not my ideal way to spend those three hours.

I could have done a complete system reinstall and config in less time. Next time, maybe I will - with a different Linux distribution.

As you can see, I am still a little salty about this.