PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 beta 5 vs Firefox 2

mr-Kirch
May 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I want your answer:popcorn:

macaholic
May 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
In my experience, beta 5 is more stable, faster, better integrated with my linux desktop, and has a plethora of other new features.

Joeb454
May 15th, 2008, 01:42 AM
In my experience, beta 5 is more stable, faster, better integrated with my linux desktop, and has a plethora of other new features.

Agreed, same goes for both my Windows installs too :) Also this has been discussed many a time in these forums :p

RiceMonster
May 15th, 2008, 01:46 AM
The GNOME/GTK theme I'm using right now used to mess up some stuff in FF2 (some menus were hard to read).FF3 beta 5 mixes really well with this theme. The best part, though, is FF3 beta has never crashed on me yet, whereas FF2 would crash all the time.

agim
May 15th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Wow, I am amazed. Three straight pro-ff3 posts.

Make it 4. I love it, especially all of the things the title bar can do.

HotShotDJ
May 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM
So far, FF3b5 has been rock-stable for me.

-- No crashes (unlike FF2)
-- Flash works
-- Integrates with desktop theme automagically
-- VERY COOL history listing

No complaints here!

Joeb454
May 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM
-- VERY COOL history listing

If you're talking about in the address bar, that's actually called (no joke) the Awesome Bar :lol:

And to the poster a few above mine, I believe Firefox 3 was designed to integrate better in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. It looks totally different on Windows ;) Which may be why it looks better :)

Oldsoldier2003
May 15th, 2008, 02:14 AM
FF3 is the clear winer in my opinion.

Joeb454
May 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm waiting for Firefox 4 ;)

But in all seriousness, I am quite looking forward to Thunderbird 3, maybe Thunderbird 4 (I know some proposed features for TB3 are being pushed back to TB4).

Anyway I digress...

HotShotDJ
May 15th, 2008, 02:20 AM
If you're talking about in the address bar, that's actually called (no joke) the Awesome Bar :lol:Yes. That is what I was talking about. Its aptly named. :)

crjackson
May 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
+1 for FF3

Thirtysixway
May 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Firefox beta is a much better choice as far as security and features.
+1 ffb3

akiratheoni
May 15th, 2008, 02:28 AM
The Awesome Bar is probably THE defining feature that makes me love FF3 over FF2. Of course there's a lot more but the main thing I miss when I am forced to use FF2 is the Awesome Bar. I feel naked without it :(

macaholic
May 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'm waiting for Firefox 4 ;)

But in all seriousness, I am quite looking forward to Thunderbird 3, maybe Thunderbird 4 (I know some proposed features for TB3 are being pushed back to TB4).

Anyway I digress...
If we are talking about application wishes, I want Epiphany with webkit (2.24 maybe?) To get better. I build epiphany right now via svn against the git WebKit, but it's so buggy and practicably unusable. So for the time being I still use firefox primarily, and I think I will for quite some time.

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I somehow hate it.... it just doesn't work for me.

i do understand the concept of memory leak, and how they are supposed to be fixed in FF3, etc... but FF3b5 uses far too much CPU and RAM on my machine. I don't think those leaks are properly fixed. I prefer FF2...

akiratheoni
May 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I somehow hate it.... it just doesn't work for me.

i do understand the concept of memory leak, and how they are supposed to be fixed in FF3, etc... but FF3b5 uses far too much CPU and RAM on my machine. I don't think those leaks are properly fixed. I prefer FF2...

Really? That's odd, I've experienced only less CPU usage with FF3 on any machine I've used and a lot of other people have experienced the same as me; even tests have concluded that FF3 uses less memory than FF2. Have you reported that to the developers?

tbroderick
May 15th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Same here. CPU usage is really bad with FF3b5.

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Really? That's odd, I've experienced only less CPU usage with FF3 on any machine I've used and a lot of other people have experienced the same as me; even tests have concluded that FF3 uses less memory than FF2. Have you reported that to the developers?

im not the only one that doesn't like it so far: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=744485

SomeGuyDude
May 15th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Swiftfox is sitting pretty on FF3pre-2. GTK integration, works flawlessly, fast and alla that good stuff.

DoktorSeven
May 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM
More CPU usage. Several crashes experienced. Random network activity (I don't get this one, either). Hate the "awesomebar". Generally sluggish.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Ffx3 beta. I'm actually using SeaMonkey 2.0 alpha 1 and it's much lighter, faster, and -- get this -- crashes less than Ffx3 beta. Yeah, an alpha crashing less than a beta. I don't get it either.

SomeGuyDude
May 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM
More CPU usage. Several crashes experienced. Random network activity (I don't get this one, either). Hate the "awesomebar". Generally sluggish.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Ffx3 beta. I'm actually using SeaMonkey 2.0 alpha 1 and it's much lighter, faster, and -- get this -- crashes less than Ffx3 beta. Yeah, an alpha crashing less than a beta. I don't get it either.

Does Seamonkey use the same extensions and such?

cardinals_fan
May 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Opera! Out of those two, probably FF2. If I'm going to use Firefox, I should at least be able to use the Google Toolbar.

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 04:05 AM
just installed seamonkey out of curiosity. even with flash plug-in loaded it works really well, much faster than FF.

the only problem is, im not sure if i like the netscape feel of it. it makes me feel like im in the 90s again. i'll see if i can change the skin. There is no way im using it with the 90s netscape user interface.

Kingsley
May 15th, 2008, 06:37 AM
My only complaint would have to be incompatibility with some extensions.

There's a workaround (http://lifehacker.com/355973/make-your-extensions-work-with-the-firefox-3-beta) that makes most of my favorite FF2 extensions work though.

DoktorSeven
May 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yes, Seamonkey can use the same extensions and is skinnable. Look in the preferences for 1.x Seamonkey skins (the beta has them under the Addon Manager under Tools).

Though some extensions under 1.x are a bit odd since you have to essentially install them while running Seamonkey as root before they will work with your user (essentially, you have to install them in the Seamonky install directory rather than in your profile). 2.x fixes this completely, however.

jrusso2
May 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM
When its released FF 3.0 will blow FF 2.0 away. Its faster, uses less memory and is more secure.

Once its finished the extensions will be updated

kindofabuzz
May 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I been using the nightlys which blow beta 5 away. and now RC1 build 1 is out which is awesome

pt123
May 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
FF3 all the way.

After installing Hardy alpha on a test partion, I hated using FF2 on my Gutsy main install.

afeasfaerw23231233
May 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
can i install ff3 on gutsy? i don't want to upgrade to 8.04 yet

achelis
May 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
FF2 is definitely faster on my machine. Plus Flash works in FF2 - it doesn't in FF3. So with from FF2 working and FF3 not and being slower it's FF2++ and FF3--

I'm actually quite baffled as to why a beta would be put on your install as a default to be honest.

From previous posts I guess it's quite popular though *shrugs*

kreoton
May 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm using both of them. FF2 at work (web development) and FF3 at home. FF3 i like more it looks like it is more stable than FF2.

wizard10000
May 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Only have two gripes - one with FF3 and one with an extension.

I spend a fair amount of time on Craigslist and FF3 has a tough time determining whether I'm logged in and what I've already read.

The other one has to do with the flashblock extension which IMO needs a heck of a lot of work. I view CNN video from time to time - and if flashblock is installed and CNN is whitelisted FF3 will crash damn near every time you browse to CNN. Doesn't happen unless you whitelist CNN and if you uninstall flashblock it doesn't happen at all. Grrr.

SomeGuyDude
May 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I been using the nightlys which blow beta 5 away. and now RC1 build 1 is out which is awesome

Is there an easy way to keep up with the nightlies? I'd hate to have to be buildin' that sucker constantly.

jrusso2
May 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
FF2 is definitely faster on my machine. Plus Flash works in FF2 - it doesn't in FF3. So with from FF2 working and FF3 not and being slower it's FF2++ and FF3--

I'm actually quite baffled as to why a beta would be put on your install as a default to be honest.

From previous posts I guess it's quite popular though *shrugs*

This seems to be a Ubuntu issue. I am not having these problems on other distros.

Glugglug
May 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Didn't like it at first couldn't install add ons so got ff2 but still couldn't install add ons even though I'd removed beta 3.5 seemed that both firefoxes were conflicting with each other so I've just done a fresh install of 8.04 and it went better than the first install the graphics drivers made themselves available as they should didn't happen the first time . Firefox is installing add-ons no problem

live2learn
May 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Firefox 2 is a winner now. Firefox 3 beta 5 is still crashing more then 2.
But if everything works then FF3 would be a true winner.
FF3 still unstable for me.
1 vote for FF2 for me please:popcorn:

pt123
May 17th, 2008, 04:56 AM
If you are finding FF3 slow at times read this thread
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784681&page=3
there is a problem with the urlclassifer files

Twitch6000
May 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I didn't like beta 3 due to a few problems but,beta 5 has left me speechless.
When I am making websites They just work in FF3 beta 5 unlike IE7 where I have to make so many fixes it isn't funny.It also is alot faster compared to FF2.So yeah I will be happy to see when it hits final :).

vinboy
May 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Way to go FF3!

Leetbumble
May 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
No matter how much anyone likes 2 over 3 you can not deny 3 is still beta. It will get refined just as 2 did and will become next great example of how IE fails.

I have had problems with 3 but when it fails me I simply open 2 and run it. Yes I have both installed and have found needs for it. Using wine to open files from download for example.

Firefox (2 or 3)/(full release / Beta) is always > IE

schauerlich
May 17th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Beta 5 was working great, updated to RC1 and now none of my extensions work.

samjh
May 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
FF3b5

kdx
May 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure what it is, but FF3 is really ticking me off.

I'm not a fan of the "Awesome Bar". As it is, I try to use the address bar as little as possible. It has always annoyed me for some reason.

Second, scrolling is S O S L O W. I can't stand it. It seriously takes almost 30 seconds to reach the bottom of a page that really isn't very long.

Third, I NEED MY EXTENSIONS. Tab Mix Plus is an absolute necessity for me. It's not supported.

Now, I'm trying to remove FF3 and install FF2, but I can't get rid of 3. I uninstall it from Synaptic, delete .mozilla from my home directory, install FF2...and IT'S STILL FF3!!!! I don't know what to do.

If you can't tell, I'm really annoyed right now.

SunnyRabbiera
May 19th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I still use firefox 2, FF3 is just not ready yet but I do look forward to its stable version.

uraldinho
May 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I think my FF3 is finally coming alive. I've had the same ubuntu installation since 6.10, just regular updates. I presume the problem was that my hardy had lots of stale packets and bad configurations. I made lots of changes over the week (a fresh install would have been much quicker).

So there is a problem somewhere with ubuntu and FF3, they dont work together as intended. Which leads to the question, why have FF3 as default?

The most important questions: how can i disable the awesome bar? Can i go back to an old style address bar?

puelly
May 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
firefox 3 beta5 for me freezes frequently. i am testing rc1 now and i am yet to have a slow down.

uraldinho
May 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM
The most important questions: how can i disable the awesome bar? Can i go back to an old style address bar?

Apparently, there is no way of disabling the awesome bar. browser.urlbar parameters in about:config are parameters for the awesome bar, but there is no disable there.

For those of you that want FF2 style address bar, there is a solution. The solution is installing "oldbar" add-on. I've just installed it, and it works.

jpeddicord
May 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I'm hoping RC will be better than Beta 5, at least. Beta 5 was horrible. Crashes/random freezes on tab closings, JS slowdowns, etc. The RC so far has been all right.

Firefox 3 RC > Firefox 3 Beta 4 > Firefox 2 > Firefox 3 Beta 5.

:KS

(and if I may troll a little: Epiphany > all, not counting extensions. But that's for a later time.)