PDA

View Full Version : gstreamer & C++

mkoehler
May 15th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me with a few good resources (tutorials and/or examples) about recording with gstreamer & C++. Note: I have sifted through the gstreamer documentation (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/), but it gets a little sparse from time to time. :)

SledgeHammer_999
May 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
as far as I can tell the examples are using C. You can mix them(C) with C++ code.

As for the recording, if you understand how gstreamer works(sinks/sources/elements/bins/pads) maybe you should look for the "recording" plugin in the documentation(try base-plugins).

mkoehler
May 15th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Ok, it's hard for me to believe that I'm running into trouble already. After reading over the documentation for a while, I decided to run a few of their simple programs, with the expectation that they would work (considering that I have all of the -dev files). Anyway, this is their first example program:

#include <gst/gst.h>

int
main (int argc,
char *argv[])
{
const gchar *nano_str;
guint major, minor, micro, nano;

gst_init (&argc, &argv);

gst_version (&major, &minor, &micro, &nano);

if (nano == 1)
nano_str = "(CVS)";
else if (nano == 2)
nano_str = "(Prerelease)";
else
nano_str = "";

printf ("This program is linked against GStreamer %d.%d.%d %s\n",
major, minor, micro, nano_str);

return 0;
}

I get two errors when I try to build the program: undefined references to "gst_init" and "gst_version", aka the functions that should be defined within "gst.h" (and yes, it knows where "gst.h" is). I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with gstreamer before and/or where I might be going wrong - thanks.

SledgeHammer_999
May 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Well for me this example was compilable in Gutsy. Can you give the command you use to build it and the error output?

mkoehler
May 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your help, but I was able to figure out the problem myself.