PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unbuntu 8.04 installation problems.

PerfectSanity
May 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the linux scene, I've tried researching this but with no concrete answer, hope you can help...

I've burnt my image to CD, when booting to the CD though and selecting Install Ubuntu, the status bar goes back and forth as usual but after a while the following message appears:

udevd-event[1551]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit.

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter help for a list of built in commands.
(initramfs) _

Of course I can type help, but thats useless because I dont know whats what. I have installed Unbuntu before without this problem.

I'm currently running a Pentium Dual Core 1.73Ghz with 2gb ram, also I have Vista installed.

If you can help, please do, it would be most appreciated :)

macaholic
May 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Well I think it is failing at loadign some default driver. I would recommend trying the alternative install disc instead.

PerfectSanity
May 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'll give it a shot, it might also be worth noting that I installed Ubuntu sucessfully through Vista, but when booting to Ubuntu, I get the same message.

Thanks.

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Ok, that nearly did it, everything seemed to install ok with no errors along with the GRUB bootloader.

After selecting Ubuntu, I now get:

udevd-event[1486]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit.

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter help for a list of built in commands.
(initramfs) _

That's after using the alternate installation.

Any ideas?

luigi-br
May 15th, 2008, 02:43 AM
i'm with same problem. But in my case that happen after a upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04.
i tried instalation on a new pc but got the same result.

pc configuration:
dual boot XP / Ubuntu
XP SP2 ok, Ubuntu 7.1 ok, Ubuntu 8.04 down

Pentium III, 512 mb RAM, Geforce FX5200 128 mb.

new pc:
triple boot: Vista, Fedora, Ubuntu.
Vista ok, Fedora ok, Ubuntu down

Athlon 64 X2 +4000, 4G Ram, Geforce FX5200 128 mb, 2 X HD 400G WD

and i dont have any clue about solutions... anyone have some idea?

best regards,
Luigi

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I seem of really messed things up now, I formatted my Ubuntu partition to start again now windows says winload.exe is missing or corrupt. Good times. I guess I dont need your help now lol.

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
After totally screwing everything up, I formatted the hard drive, removed everything and installed Ubuntu by itself. I still get the error.

Is anyone able to help? I seem to be banging my head against the wall with this at the moment.

dstew
May 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
This is probably a kernel bug. Try the kernel parameter all_generic_ide which you can add to the kernel line at the grub menu by pressing 'e', or to the line in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file on the disk. See this bug thread (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/154591).

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I dont have GRUB installed now so how would I do that?

bsmith1051
May 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
not that this helps now (post hard-drive wipe) but it sounds like a hw incompatibility. I've seen similar problems with motherboards that use the new Intel SATA controller, so the advice re tweaking the GRUB entry sound right (to make the kernel use a fallback IDE setting). You also might check your BIOS to see if there's a "compatible" mode you can select for the SATA controller.

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Scratch that, I think I just need help executing that command.

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I added that after the -- when booting to the CD. It still did not work.

PerfectSanity
May 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ok after a lot of finding our which buttons to press where, I added that command line to the end of the kernel within the e menu of GRUB.

I also found a "Compatability" mode in the BIOS which i've turned on.

To no avail.

bsmith1051
May 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
does it work with the LiveCD, i.e., can you successfully boot the LiveCD and get to the Ubuntu desktop? If so, then it's much less likely to be a hw issue.