PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Vs Linux , Now the Server Wars...

KingBahamut
October 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Microsoft is only winning about one out of four deals where IT shops are trying to move off of proprietary Unix. To turn that trend around, there are four specific Linux strongholds where Microsoft is focusing its attention." From the article: "After discussing server clustering, Web hosting, and server appliances, Ballmer was cut off by the interviewees before he could identify the fourth. But my guess is that, given the way Ballmer emphasized Software as a Service (SaaS) as a core theme for all the work that's taking place at Microsoft right now, the fourth stronghold of Linux that Microsoft wants is the SaaS stronghold where Linux is the operating system behind a Java-based application server technology ... Ballmer knows he's got a long roe to hoe. 'The day I come in front of the Gartner audience and say we have a better Unix than Linux, that'll be a good day.

External Link
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=2042

Server Clustering -- They have no chance.
Web Hosting -- Theyd have to dent Apache to do this and make IIS much more secure , that too, Isnt happening.
Server Appliances -- Microsoft in the embedded market, you mean MS CE? Dont make me laugh.
Software as a Service -- Oracle is successful at this, why cant MS right? or can they?

Sirin
March 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Red Hat has a message for them (http://www.redhat.com/truthhappens/). :p

YourSurrogateGod
March 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
*loads a penguin into a mortar*

What? You said it's a war.

Kernel Sanders
March 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Microsoft doesnt have a cat in hells chance......

Why oh why are Microsoft so concerned with trying to nail the opposition on ALL fronts? The result? Mediaocre attempts from Microsoft on all fronts.

If they just tried to focus on a few fronts, with their resources the software that they could come up with would be phenominal!

Come on MS, YOU CAN DO BETTER!!!! ](*,)

Virogenesis
March 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
LMAO to think Microsoft have a chance against Linux is highly amusing as the e linux kernel supports 4TB of ram and the max filesize is 8 extabytes .

Also note that PHP has big market in terms of web apps s,, apache has as something like 70% of the market according to netcraft then you look at the priocce of databases, mysql is growing all the time and its free to run on linux , oracle is helping linux grow all the time .

The only reason you'd run a MS server is because you 'dd want to run .net
Thats the only reason server farms will not switch to MS servers due to the cost and server farms are where the market is.

They will have to discredit linux before they even stand a chance and they can't do that is their past of security issues.

BWF89
March 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Why oh why are Microsoft so concerned with trying to nail the opposition on ALL fronts? The result? Mediaocre attempts from Microsoft on all fronts.
Quote from Steve Jobs:
"It's better to be a pirate than join the Navy"

Swiss
March 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM
m

Trel
March 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Let me put it this way..

For webhosts like me Microsoft isn't a very attractive option due to licensing costs beyond the control panels and support costs when compared to Linux servers in terms of just costs.

Let me lay this out in terms of dollars:

Linux (CentOS 4) with cPanel, PHP, MySQL, Perl, PostgreSQL. Cost per month in software: Average $20

Windows (Windows Server 2003) with Plesk, ASP.net, ASP, MS SQL Server. Cost per month in software: $20 + $400 + $20 + $10

When it comes down to what people pay monthly the lower our costs the lower the costs they pay. I know some want Windows and that is fine they are more than willing to pay for it but, if Microsoft thinks they can realistically compete in the mass webhosting market at those prices they are crazy.