PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best way to upgrade broken Mythbuntu Gutsy to Hardy?

bliffle
May 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I had a good Gutsy running on my T60, dualbooted with the old XP partition, and then I updated Gutsy (with synaptics) to MythTV (Mythbuntu) and then it started acting badly. The mouse cursor was balky, sometimes wireless wouldn't connect, sometimes the CD reader didn't work, etc.

So I set that machine aside and went back to my old T40.

Now I have the new Hardy release for 386 desktop and I wonder what I should do to replace that broken Gutsy/Mythbuntu. I'd rather not allocate a new partition and install and then move my data. Is there an easy way to just overlay the bad old system, or delete just the code and then apply the new CD?

Should I use the regular desktop release or the "Alternate"?

If I plan to install MythTV should I start off with the Mythbuntu CD?

Pumalite
May 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Save data and do a clean install.

bliffle
May 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks.

I can copy data to a USB drive, or even a separate partition.

I wonder if I should delete the old Mythbuntu partition then, or if I should just install over the old system with an install from the CD?

Should I use the 'desktop' or 'alternate' CD and then follow with Myth, or just use the Mythbuntu CD?

Pumalite
May 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
You can install on top of the old 'buntu. Post your specs.

bliffle
May 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Can I just run the Desktop CD and install in the old ubuntu partition? Will that leave my data as is? Will it just replace the ubuntu code?