PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having video driver issues

coreymtl420
May 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM
After installing ubuntu to dual boot on my computer (running 1 GHZ, 256MB Ram, 40GB HD, 64MB Video card) everything was working just fine so I ran my updates and then got a prompt to install restricted driver for my video card. I did this and now every time I boot it asks me to run in safe mode or something like that and no matter how I configure it, it just goes to a black screen with an x for a cursor. How can I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

overdrank
May 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM
After installing ubuntu to dual boot on my computer (running 1 GHZ, 256MB Ram, 40GB HD, 64MB Video card) everything was working just fine so I ran my updates and then got a prompt to install restricted driver for my video card. I did this and now every time I boot it asks me to run in safe mode or something like that and no matter how I configure it, it just goes to a black screen with an x for a cursor. How can I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HI and welcome, what version of Ubuntu are you using and what is the model of the graphics card.

coreymtl420
May 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
thx for the speedy reply :) I am using the latest version of ubuntu (8.04) and am using a Hercules Prophet 4000XT PCI Video card. Any suggestions?

overdrank
May 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
thx for the speedy reply :) I am using the latest version of ubuntu (8.04) and am using a Hercules Prophet 4000XT PCI Video card. Any suggestions?

Hi and sorry for the delay but I have no experience with that graphics card and a search has revealed no help.You may try and disable the restricted drivers and then you can try and configure your xorg and this link may help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto
The only thing I can think of that may help is to change the default depth from 24 to 16 in your xorg. This may be difficult due to the fact you will likely not have a GUI. Sorry for the lack of help and good luck!

coreymtl420
May 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM
No problem. Thx for trying. I think i will probably just re-install and avoid those restricted drivers. Cheers.