PDA

View Full Version : Linux goes mobile!

Rylin
May 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Found this article many of you will find interesting. ;)

Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/14/AR2008051401563.html)

picopir8
May 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
The title should read, "Verizon switches to Linux" as linux mobile phones have been developed for a while now. I recall looking at a Motorola model last fall. Not surprising though, Verzon always seems to be one of the last ones to the party.

bash
May 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Could be seen as a move against Googles Andriod OS (which is Linux based as well).

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
This is not a new subject. Most of the Motorola phones are indeed linux phones. The most popular linux based mobile OS is probably going to be the new Android OS, with the first phones coming out later this year.

linux is a tried and tested kernel that resides in many embedded systems. If you have a home wireless router, you might be using linux without realising it. If you have a digital TV receiver, there is a chance that it is running linux, etc....

maniacmusician
May 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm awful miffed that Android doesn't run native code though; all of the programs are going to be java emulated. With all the recent Qt advances, it would be much more economical to use that in combination with a low-level language to set up a development environment. Although Java virtual programs should certainly be an option, they shouldn't be the only option for a project like Android.

That's just the understanding I have of it though. Might well be flawed.

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
from what has been released so for, Android does look like Java only platform.

I think it's one of those that we have to wait and see before we judge. It's difficult to tell right now.