PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenVPN broken after patch

tx413
May 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Okay, so after today's OpenSSL / OpenVPN vulnerability patch craziness, OpenVPN no longer works (on the client side -- haven't tested server side yet). It asks for the client.key password twice then fails:

~$ sudo /etc/init.d/openvpn restart
* Stopping virtual private network daemon. [ OK ]
* Starting virtual private network daemon.
Enter pass phrase for /etc/openvpn/client.key:
Enter pass phrase for /etc/openvpn/client.key:
ERROR: 1:
unable to load Private Key
7445:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:evp_enc.c:461:
7445:error:0906A065:PEM routines:PEM_do_header:bad decrypt:pem_lib.c:425:

* client (FAILED)
[ OK ]

The above results are after entering the password correct for the first time and incorrectly for the second time. If I enter it correctly both times, I don't get the "unable to load client key", but I still get "client (FAILED)".

Also, if I enter the WRONG password the first time it will fail immediately and will not ask again. My client key is now blacklisted, but I don't think that should affect operations.

I'm running 8.04 on VMWare with two procs specified with an i386 kernel. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

tx413
May 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I've reverted to openVPN v2.0.9 -- rebuilt from sources using the latest (rc7) openSSL libraries. It works and allows me to get back onto the VPN.

And I've checked that both the CA and server / client keys are NOT blacklisted. So that's nice, but I still can't run on the latest OpenVPN.

tx413
May 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Another update released today - openvpn2.1-rc7-1ubuntu3.2. Still asks for the password twice and then fails to start just like above.

v2.0.9 still working.

Lazy123
May 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yep, openvpn is broken here also.

lolobu
May 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Yep ... same issue for me. I've removed the pass phrase from my key for the time being.

openssl (rsa|dsa) -in private.key -out privatekey-without-passphrase.key

After that, openvpn works with the new key.

lolobu
May 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Nothing new on that one ?

lolobu
June 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Today's openvpn update fixed the problem.