PDA

View Full Version : Another "what laptop?" thread, with 2 choices.

Iehova
May 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hello all,

I am currently in rather a quandary. I currently own a 15.4" Acer Aspire 5920, it's served me well with 2GB RAM, an Intel C2D 2GHz CPU, Intel wireless and intel X3100 graphics. Now, however, I have the option of swapping this laptop for an HP, one of the Pavillion dv9000 series.

Frankly, I can't decide which is the best plan, and I thought that the far, far more knowledgeable people on here (;)) might be able to give me a few pointers.

As far as I see it:

The HP has 4GB of RAM to the Acer's 2GB - This is good, but is it necessary with ubuntu? I never run out.
The HP has a 2GHz AMD Turion X2 CPU compared to the Acer's Intel C2D - Supposedly AMD processors are worse, but by what margin?
The HP has a much better graphics card, I believe, a dedicated nvidia (8600M GS?) compared to the Acer's integrated graphics.
Out of the box, the HP appears better supported by ubuntu than the Acer. I've never got the Acer's media keys to work on ubuntu, whereas they do on the HP. Also, proprietary nvidia drivers via Envy should be easy. However, the HP has an Atheros wireless card which isn't supported under x86_64, so I have to use the Windows drivers, which work but seem remarkably less efficient than they should be.
The HP has a larger screen (17") and resolution.
The HP has a full size keyboard, with a numeric keypad and everything, but it's in the US layout instead of UK. That's a minor annoyance, though.
The HP is prettier. I'm a sucker for good looks.
Finally, the HP has Altec Lansing speakers, but they don't seem to have much bass (I'm not an expert on sound, so take this with a pinch of salt), the Acer has a speaker on the bottom of the laptop which makes the sound a lot 'fuller'.

There's a lot of information there, much of it inconsequential, but if anyone who knows about these sorts of things could give me their opinions then I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks,

SunnyRabbiera
May 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Actually I say if the acer is serving you well dont trade it, or at least trade it for that particular model...
do you have other options other then this HP and your current acer?

phr0ze
May 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm a sucker for smaller lighter laptops. Otherwise I just don't feel like carrying them.

Twitch6000
May 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Actually I say if the acer is serving you well dont trade it, or at least trade it for that particular model...

I agree your acer is better then mine so I wouldn't trade it.
Unless you can trade for a custom built laptop :).

Iehova
May 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM

No, It's the HP or the Acer. ;)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone...

DieB
May 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM
excuse me, but whatfor you need an 17" laptop?
To me that is not of interest due to transportation problems, or is it just for your Desktop?

FuturePilot
May 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I say go with the HP. From the list of things you made, obviously it has better specs. As for that wireless, it may work with the ath5k driver which has been included in the 2.6.25 kernel so it will be included with Intrepid.

Iehova
May 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
excuse me, but whatfor you need an 17" laptop?
To me that is not of interest due to transportation problems, or is it just for your Desktop?

Well, I don't need a 17" screen... Essentially my laptop is used both as my main computer (so in that sense as a 'desktop replacement'), and taken around with me (although always used in static locations, the library, my girlfriend's house etc.). It's obvious when I use it on the liveCD that the HP's screen is a lot better, it seems sharper and crisper, but of course the machine is less portable.

Having said that, if you've ever seen the new Acer Aspires, they are by no means ultra-portable, they're pretty bulky, fatter than the HP, and the difference in weight isn't so much of a problem.

Again, thanks to everyone.

EDIT: And FuturePilot: Thanks for the driver tip, I'll have to check that out.

Kingsley
May 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I own a dv6000, so I know how great the machines are in the dv series. Go for the dv9000, but make sure you look into any issues you may come across with the AMD processor. This thread should help you out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=512059

kevin11951
May 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM
why does no one look into system76 (system76.com). i hope you live in the US, because they only ship there and canada.

Iehova
May 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I own a dv6000, so I know how great the machines are in the dv series. Go for the dv9000, but make sure you look into any issues you may come across with the AMD processor. This thread should help you out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=512059

Thanks for the link. I'm allowed to test the HP out to my heart's content before I decide, so I think I'll install Ubuntu as a dual boot and see whether suspend/hibernate etc. will work.

kevin11951: I'm not buying a laptop, it's a straight swap, although I did check system76 when I was in the market for a laptop, and a) I live in the UK, and b) They didn't offer what I wanted competitively enough. I'd love to support a company like system76, but I simply can't afford it. ;)