PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i setup a mail server in a PC without internet connection

nince_tutes
May 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to ubuntu, i want to setup a mail server in a company (only locally, in intranet). We do not have a real domain name, so my purpose is only to setup a mail server to allow users to send email from their PC (running in Windows XP) to each other.

My big problem is that in the PC that i want to setup this server, i have no internet connection, so is there any way to install the required tools in such this server?

I repeat, i have no internet connection and my only purpose is to setup a mail server for sending emails only locally to the LAN, i have 20 users running in Windows XP.

My second question is:

Is it possible to setup a mail server in Ubuntu Desktop, or it require Ubuntu Server.

and my last question is:

Is there a simple, simple step-by-step guide to setup a mail server?

Thank u from ALBANIA

windependence
May 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to ubuntu, i want to setup a mail server in a company (only locally, in intranet). We do not have a real domain name, so my purpose is only to setup a mail server to allow users to send email from their PC (running in Windows XP) to each other.

My big problem is that in the PC that i want to setup this server, i have no internet connection, so is there any way to install the required tools in such this server?

I repeat, i have no internet connection and my only purpose is to setup a mail server for sending emails only locally to the LAN, i have 20 users running in Windows XP.

My second question is:

Is it possible to setup a mail server in Ubuntu Desktop, or it require Ubuntu Server.

and my last question is:

Is there a simple, simple step-by-step guide to setup a mail server?

Thank u from ALBANIA

Yes, you can set it up without internet, and yes you can run it on desktop, you don't need server.

This how to was written by someone here on the forums:

http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/

You may also want to take a look at Zimbra collaboration suite:

http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html

-Tim

nince_tutes
May 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
i've saw this, but i find difficulties.

I have installed zimbra from internet, and i've place it in desktop. but i don't know how to install that.

can u help me?

thanx.