PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop and home are equal

linuxfan3
May 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,
my home directory is shown as my desktop. so i have two desktops now. stuff in home is shown on the desktop. it doesnt help to create a new directory called "Desktop" in home. The special desktop icon at the directory is missing. how do i get my true desktop directory back and how do i tell ubuntu to set my home as home and not as desktop? the situation is because i deleted the desktop directory in my home directory. please, it doesnt make any sence!
help please!!!:confused:

webarchitect
May 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
The fact that you wrote it like a zigzag makes it even more confusing...really..

jakon
May 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Try this:

1. Open ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs with a Texteditor (~ means your home directory - /home/linuxfan3 or something like that. If you can't see the .config directory, press CTRL+h to see all files starting with a dot)
2. Change the line XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=whatever to XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
3. logout, login

Awalton
May 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Try this:

1. Open ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs with a Texteditor (~ means your home directory - /home/linuxfan3 or something like that. If you can't see the .config directory, press CTRL+h to see all files starting with a dot)
3. alt+f2, nautilus --restart, press return.

Fixed ;).

linuxfan3
May 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Try this:

3. logout, login

fixed THANK YOU jakon :)
how can i mark the issue as solved by the way :confused:

SkonesMickLoud
May 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
gconftool -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir false

Works as well. No logout/in needed.

Awalton
May 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
gconftool -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir false

Works as well. No logout/in needed.

Unfortunately, the desktop can still be the home dir (really, any dir), even with that setting set to false. That setting is really superfluous since Nautilus 2.20 or so, as we follow the Base Directory Specification in Nautilus. I'm working on a patch to remove this altogether for this reason alone, see GNOME bug 469614 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469614) to track this.

Also, either way you shouldn't have to log in/out, we do watch the above mentioned files for changes, but sometimes it takes a bit to pick up the new setting, so I just usually suggest people restart nautilus (nautilus --restart in a terminal or after pressing alt+f2, as mentioned above).

SkonesMickLoud
May 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, the desktop can still be the home dir (really, any dir), even with that setting set to false. That setting is really superfluous since Nautilus 2.20 or so, as we follow the Base Directory Specification in Nautilus. I'm working on a patch to remove this altogether for this reason alone, see GNOME bug 469614 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469614) to track this.

Also, either way you shouldn't have to log in/out, we do watch the above mentioned files for changes, but sometimes it takes a bit to pick up the new setting, so I just usually suggest people restart nautilus (nautilus --restart in a terminal or after pressing alt+f2, as mentioned above).

Good to know. Thanks.