PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Numlock keypad broke after upgrade

bluedog800
May 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I upgraded my wifes computer yesterday to ubuntu 8.04, now after the upgrade the numlock keypad stopped working, the light would toggle, but that would still not help in getting it to type. I tried a few different layouts in System -> Preferences -> Keyboard, generic 104 i would have thought would work. The keyboard does work in terminal if you Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example, so it is a gnome thing!?!, i tried to do a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org but that didn't help

I also tried copying my old xorg.conf file in to place but also didn't change.

It is PS2 keyboard hp KB-0316

Thanks

bluedog800
May 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
During the upgrade an assistive feature was turned on

System -> Preferences -> Assistive Technologies -> Keyboard Accessibility -> Mouse Keys, uncheck Allow to control the pointer using the keyboard.

Hope this can help someone else in the future.

enoksrd
February 27th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I'm on 8.10 on a laptop, and a few days ago my external usb keyboard started always being in numlock mode when I log into ghome. Two major problems:

1. It's a compact keyboard with the numeric keypad superimposed on the alphanumeric/regular keypad. So when numlock is on I can't use uiopjkl;m or /

2. I can't seem to turn off numlock using the keyboard. There's a numlock button, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I managed to get the external keyboard back into non-numlock mode by toggling the numlock key on the laptop builtin keyboard, and maybe unplugging and replugging the external keyboard.

Today it was even more screwed up, with the superimposed numeric keys now controlling the mouse. Googling got me to your suggestion, which got me back to numeric superimposed keys :P I have no idea why this works, but I was able to get back normal keys by checking

System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layout->Other Options->Use keyboard LED to show alternative layout->Numlock LED shows alternative layout

and that fix persists across logouts.

Note: The problem only starts *after* U log into gnome. On the gdm login screen numlock is always off.

NT4usB
March 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

System -> Preferences -> Assistive Technologies -> Keyboard Accessibility -> Mouse Keys, uncheck Allow to control the pointer using the keyboard.

It did, Thanks!

Claus7
January 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hello,

Thank's a lot!

Regards!

ae+
June 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM

This has been driving me CRAZY. Thanks heaps. I haven't logged on here for 18 months, but did to give a big thanks :)

NT4usB
June 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Coincidence, that this thread comes around again.
Nums just stopped working on this box. It's been up 4 days, and they worked fine until tonight.
How/why/what sort of magic causes Mouse Keys bla to become checked on a machine I use every day for a year?

kyle98
June 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hello,

If its your laptop keyboard key that has broken , you don't need to worry that you'll need a whole new keyboard.

I got my laptop keys replaced by this company at Ebay. They gave me 5 key sets at a very reasonable price. And they have installation video's which makes it really easy to fix the keys
http://www.laptopkey.com

wsscott
June 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I had the same problem.

Thanks!

BobHur
July 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks, I picked up the same problem when upgrading to 10.4.

I can see the point of defaulting to mouse keys for those who need that kind of assistance, but a brief on-screen note about this and how to change it back during/after the install or upgrade would be appreciated.

mattmetzger
September 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
dup

mattmetzger
September 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Shift+NumLock