PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network setup

Mr_Whippy
May 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi there,

quick one hopefully,

i am a complete newb to linux/ubuntu both,

I was wondering if any of you had a link to a "how to" that would guide me through setting up my first fully fledged network, using ubuntu server, ubuntu clients, I will be also using a windows 2k8 server in there, but this can come later, with a vista/xp client.

the windows stuff can be added later unless someone has a guide to setting it up with them incuded, thanks for any help.

Malac
May 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hi there,

quick one hopefully,

I was wondering if any of you had a link to a "how to" that would guide me through setting up my first fully fledged network, using ubuntu server, ubuntu clients, I will be also using a windows 2k8 server in there, but this can come later, with a vista/xp client.

the windows stuff can be added later unless someone has a guide to setting it up with them incuded, thanks for any help.
Search the networking forum for samba for windows stuff and nfs for linux

Mr_Whippy
May 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
K cheers i will do,

does this cover a complete network install from scratch, which is what i am kinda looking for. or does this sort of thing not exist.

tact
May 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi there,

quick one hopefully,

Yerrrr... you might find that kind of tutorial hard to find. Thats a kinda "starting from a clean sheet" situation you got there.

Way tooo many unknowns about what you want to end up with...
- mail server?
- web server
- domain style central authentication
- not to mention how you are going to connect to internet. will you be needing to set up a dedicated router, bridge, DHCP, etc
- etc...

Its clear you will be adding in windows machines and so samba will become a part of the solution. But will it just facilitate sharing or will it need to authenticate clients etc...

You can always start out simply though and add what you need as you go.

Mr_Whippy
May 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Thats what im looking for really something that gets me going then i can the things i need as i go,

for instance at the moment i have an ubuntu server, ubuntu client, a switch, a router, and thats it.

i cant get them to talk to each other, i have installed openssh client/server respectively. but they cant talk see each other.

what im looking for is how do i do the initial domain setup i guess what do i need to install to get a domain controller dns etc... how do i do this. i work in IT so not complely lost here, but could do with somoething that says you need this to setup a domain.

then you can add things like this to it if you like.

Mr_Whippy
May 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
K i think i may have found some guides that help me out with this problem, if i have ill get back to you all and let you know,

Iowan
May 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
There's a link in my signature for howtoforge.com. There are several "perfect server" setup how-to's.

Mr_Whippy
May 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the link Iowan,

ill be heading over there and having a look.