PDA

View Full Version : Mono's Winforms 2.0 is now API Complete!!

sakabato
May 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
As now mono team declared All windows forms 2.0 api is implemented. http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2008/May-13.html

Kudos, this is a nice step for cross platformity.

Delever
May 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Well, Winforms look ugly on linux anyway, so it's better to use Gtk+ interface. Furthermore, Gtk+ is safe if there happens to be some incident with Novel-Microsoft (in which Novell may loose leg or two in form of "WinForms" or "ASP.NET").

LaRoza
May 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM
As now mono team declared All windows forms 2.0 api is implemented. http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2008/May-13.html

Kudos, this is a nice step for cross platformity.

Windows forms is not part of the ECMA standard right?

This is not a nice step for cross platformity IMO.

sakabato
May 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I think GTK# is nice. You are correct both asp.net and windows forms are not part of ECMA. But don't blieve the FUD around that MS can sue you , because I personally know the source code of ASP.NET of mono (can't speak for windows forms but I am assuming the same). They are written very carefully without infringing pattents. Lot's of references (to public web sites) where the source code or idea is taken, are available as code comments. So using them is pretty safe bet imho.

Although I also think windows forms and asp.net shouldn't be out of box which isn't now.

Please do not turn this thread another mono flamewar. Which is discussed every now and then. My point was , now we can at least have better hopes to run windows specific software to run in linux.

LaRoza
May 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I think GTK# is nice. You are correct both asp.net and windows forms are not part of ECMA. But don't blieve the FUD around that MS can sue you , because I personally know the source code of ASP.NET of mono (can't speak for windows forms but I am assuming the same). They are written very carefully without infringing pattents. Lot's of references (to public web sites) where the source code or idea is taken, are available as code comments. So using them is pretty safe bet imho.

Although I also think windows forms and asp.net shouldn't be out of box which isn't now.

Please do not turn this thread another mono flamewar. Which is discussed every now and then. My point was , now we can at least have better hopes to run windows specific software to run in linux.

I don't think MS would be able to sue, however, I am concerned there is a focus on making Windows thingies work with Linux. It seems to just enforce the concept of MS being on top no matter what.

Of course, I do think this progress will help those C# developers interested in Linux development.