PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No gdm

darkreaction
May 14th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Ok I am dumb. So I disabled graphical login manager (gdm) so now I don't have a graphical interface. I am using a live cd right now so I guess is there any way to re-enable gdm? thanks

MaindotC
May 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM
You can start gdm, or Gnome Desktop Manager, by typing:

sudo gdm

In the /etc folder there are folders that correlate to something called run-levels: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel#Ubuntu)

311@a34lkj2348dsf311-laptop:~$ cd /etc/rc
rc0.d/ rc1.d/ rc2.d/ rc3.d/ rc4.d/ rc5.d/ rc6.d/ rcS.d/

This displays each folder for each run level. If you go into each folder, there should files that start with a capital S. The capital S means "start" in lamen's terms. The operating system loads whatever processes are in this folder depedning on the run level at which you are logging in. The wiki says Debian-based systems use run level 2 - 5 for graphical login. When you change the captial S to something else, like a lowercase s or one convention is to name it with a K (for kill), the process is not started.

In one of those folders, there should be a process that ends in "gdm" but doesn't start with a capital S. Change that to a capital S and restart your x-server by pressing ctrl + alt + backspace.

MaindotC
May 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What's the status on this post? Have you made any progress?

atomkarinca
May 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
You can try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

if you have gdm installed. If you removed it just install it

sudo apt-get install gdm

and start it

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start