PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] copy home dir using live cd ?

0range0rca
May 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hi,

I want to copy my home directory into another hdd. I booted up using the ubuntu live cd, but it says i dont have permission to read the home on the hdd that i want to copy. How do i do this ?

thanks

PS- I can login and do it, but i want to do it using a live cd
I am using ubuntu 7.10

mattress
May 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
This is what I would do:

1. boot live cd and sudo / su to a root shell. (sudo -i)
2. mount both partitions from a terminal window (mount /dev/hdx /mnt/oldhome etc.)
3. run cp -Rpa /mnt/oldhome/myuser /mnt/newhome/myuser
4. verify files are on new partition
5. update fstab entries for /home

That should do it...

HTH

m

sunstriker
May 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
just put sudo before your copy command. should do the trick.
Like:

sudo cp -Rv /media/disk1/home/yourusername/* /media/yourdestinationdrive/yourdestinationfolder/

fisheater
October 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

I have installed a package that has made my computer unbootable (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1295486).

My files are stuck in my ubuntu 9.04 partition and I need to get them out. This threat is good, but I dont know what hard drive is called (sda1,2,3 or hda1,2,3.).

I will be using a LiveCD 9.04 to get this done. I tried to see the files in Nautilus and copy them, but dont have permission to do it.

Thanks for the (timely) help!

FE

The Cog
October 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The command sudo -i gets you a command prompt with full privilege - just hit return at the password prompt. Then fdisk -l (lower-case L) will list all the hard drives and their partitions.

If you are mounting the partitions by hand, you will need to create the directories you are mounting them to (called the mount point) first. For example:

mkdir /media/myhome
mount /dev/sda1 /media/myhome

fisheater
October 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks, got it. I managed to get my files off, but only 2 denied me permission. They were on the desktop and I was unable to get them.

Thanks for your help. Please close.