PDA

View Full Version : My ThinkPad was a big disappointment--what should I get instead?

50words
May 14th, 2008, 02:02 AM
My new ThinkPad T61 (15.4") arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE! There is at least an inch of wasted space on all sides. The trackpad is tiny--it is smaller than my previous ThinkPad T42, and nearly useless. It is big, heavy, and will not fit in any of my computer bags.

(Yes, I could have gotten the smaller screen--and with it, shorter battery life and lower resolution. No deal.)

I am considering paying the $232 restocking fee to send this back to Lenovo. If I do, Lenovo will have lost a customer. Not because of their service, which is fantastic, but because of the poor product.

(I didn't think much of SLED with Gnome, either, but that is probably because I am so used to Ubuntu.)

So what do I get instead?

I value portability and durability (for ~5 years of ownership) the most, followed closely by funcition and power. This will be my primary computer for work. I use Ubuntu Linux as my primary OS, running XP in VirtualBox for Acrobat and my document scanner. I am hard on my laptops; I take it everywhere with me.

I am considering getting a MacBook. The MacBook Pros are just too darn expensive. I don't want to blog $2,500 on a laptop just now. How well will a MacBook work with Ubuntu? It looks like it should work fine, given the hardware. Any issues I should know of? (I have never owned a Mac before.)

Besides a MacBook, what should I consider? The Dell XPS M1330 looks pretty good, but I have not heard good things about their customer service lately.

I have looked at the System76 laptops, but they look more clumsy than this Lenovo, and I have serious doubts about their long-term durability.

Any suggestions appreciated.

SunnyRabbiera
May 14th, 2008, 02:13 AM
How about toshiba?
they tend to make excellent laptops

raul_
May 14th, 2008, 02:16 AM
For portabilty you shouldn't go for a 15.4" :P

I think the ideal is 12.1" since the 11.1" are to expensive and bigger than 12.1" usually weigh more than 2kg.

12" is also not to small to comfortably spend the day browsing and writing.

Of course I obviously own a 12.1" packard bell laptop :)

50words
May 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
15.4" was the only viable option, as the resolution on the 14.1" is not very good, and the 14.1" has much worse battery life. Plus, a 15.4" Macbook Pro (the 15" one) isn't this big.

I use this work work. Anything smaller than 13.3" is pushing it, and even that seems too small for me.

Linux&Gsus
May 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
If you don't wanted it, I'm happy to decontaminate the IBM for free.

It's a service I provide, you know....

Cheers,
Steve

raul_
May 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM
15.4" was the only viable option, as the resolution on the 14.1" is not very good, and the 14.1" has much worse battery life. Plus, a 15.4" Macbook Pro (the 15" one) isn't this big.

I use this work work. Anything smaller than 13.3" is pushing it, and even that seems too small for me.

Really? I usually spend days programming and I think it's pretty comfortable :) oh well...

What about the 14.1" sony vaio 's? I think they have good battery life, but are a little more expensive

50words
May 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Aren't the Sonys pretty sketchy with Ubuntu?

raul_
May 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Err..maybe, I really don't know because I don't use Ubuntu nor a Sony. I just went computer browsing today and I saying some names that sticked to my mind :popcorn:

50words
May 14th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Incidentally, the default SLED install does not work very well. Basic things like the software update do not function, although I have not changed anything yet.

The Windows XP discs they included do not help me reinstall SLED, either.

SunnyRabbiera
May 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM
But a Macbook or a Toshiba are usually good options, HP doesn't make bad laptops either.

dasunst3r
May 14th, 2008, 02:52 AM
My house has a three-year-old Dell Inspiron laptop that I've subjected to the harsh environment of being toted around all the time and is still working just fine.

wersdaluv
May 14th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I don't know if this will work for you but I'm looking at the HP 2133 (http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/).

It's very portable and has nice specs. For a guy who brings his machine everywhere, this could be good unless the 8.9-inch screen is too small for you or something. As I have learned, if you just do office work, smaller screens and a little slower processors wont be bad.

Tell me what you think about if you're going to get one. I'm also planning to buy one.:)

50words
May 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I don't know if this will work for you but I'm looking at the HP 2133 (http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/).

I love those, but they are not enough for me for a lone computer. I see them more as a second computer for someone who has a desktop but wants something to take to the coffee shop.

LaRoza
May 14th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I love those, but they are not enough for me for a lone computer. I see them more as a second computer for someone who has a desktop but wants something to take to the coffee shop.

A smaller Thinkpad?

50words
May 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
A smaller Thinkpad?

That was what I initially thought. But the 13.3" widescreen is really small for me. And the 14.1" is a power-sucker with bad resolution.

And they all have this teeny trackpad. Seriously, why?

Maybe I should just suck it up and use this for a while. Maybe I can learn to love it.

reacocard
May 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM
That was what I initially thought. But the 13.3" widescreen is really small for me. And the 14.1" is a power-sucker with bad resolution.

Maybe I should just suck it up and use this for a while. Maybe I can learn to love it.

I recently bought a T61 for my primary computer myself, and I love it. While I see your argument about the touchpad, I personally have come to love the Trackpoint, and use it instead. If I need more precision I use an external mouse (either usb or bluetooth). I also get excellent battery life, around 5h even with wifi on (using the 9-cell battery and intel graphics). With wifi and bluetooth off it stretches to almost 6h. While slightly heavy to carry around all the time, compared to other 15.4" notebooks it's actually reasonably light.

My only quibbles thus far: no S-Video out and the plastic is a little weak in a couple spots, namely around the PC card slots and underneath the CD bay. Aside from these minor defects I love everything about this laptop.

cardinals_fan
May 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Toshibas are nice. HPs are mediocre but work. You really should consider a smaller ThinkPad - you'd be amazed how effective you can be with a small screen. Also, Fujitsu laptops are excellent but expensive.

EDIT: I hate Dells.

bufsabre666
May 14th, 2008, 05:35 AM
my thinkpad is nice and my old hp was great, the only one ive ever had a problem with was an old compaq ((i got rid of this around 6.06 so im sure it would work fine now)) and a sony viao pretty much all other problems, software wise, can be fixed in mainstream laptops, not all so dont take that as gospel but most

fissionmailed
May 14th, 2008, 05:42 AM
A huge linux wiz recommended Toshiba and my family's and mine has been nothing but sunshine and flowers. Oh course I had to do some fiddling to get Ubuntu to work and some looking for XP drivers but the actually laptops are nice.

dedmonds
May 14th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I was able to buy the 14.1" T61 in November with the 1400x1050 screen resolution. My roommate has the 15.4" T61, and there is a noticeable difference in size and perception. I made the purchase through the IBM Employee Purchase Program through a friend, and I don't believe the higher resolution was available in the 14.1" model through the normal configuration selections on the (non-EPP) website. It might be worth calling to make sure the higher-resolution 14.1" model is really not available.

-D-

macogw
May 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
If you don't want a 15.4" laptop, don't get a 15.4" laptop, simple as that. I like the size of the screen on mine and having the fullsize keyboard, but pretty much any laptop of this size is at least 6lb, probably 7. It gets heavy after a while, not gonna lie. I'm going for a 13.3" next time. I want the ZaReason UltraLapSR.

helliewm
May 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I have 3 laptops all different sizes. A Dell INspiron 17 inch desktop replacement for downstairs, 15 inch Fujitsu Amilo PI 2515 that I absolutely love its light and works out of the box with Ubuntu and for my birthday a refurbished 12inch DEll XPS 1210 12 inch.

I would say get a Dell or a Fujitsu. Both are brilliant.

Helen

regomodo
May 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
My new ThinkPad T61 (15.4") arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE!

Wow! Who'd have thought. It seems you bought on impulse and unwisely. If you need portability 15" is not the way to go.

cdekter
May 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
If you want trouble-free, go with a Dell Inspiron and Ubuntu. I just got an Inspiron 1525 and after tossing out the supplied Vista installation and replacing it with Hardy, everything is working great. No joke - everything worked perfectly out of the box, no tweaking or anything.

The laptop itself is great too. Not too heavy and the screen is fantastic (I went for the higher res version). I take it everywhere with me (although admittedly I use a laptop backpack for the purpose).

zekopeko
May 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
do NOT buy macbooks if you want long term quality. the plastic is cheap to say the least. you could wait for 3 weeks and see if apple is going to offer macbooks in an aluminum case.

K.Mandla
May 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
My new ThinkPad T61 (15.4") arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE! There is at least an inch of wasted space on all sides. The trackpad is tiny--it is smaller than my previous ThinkPad T42, and nearly useless. It is big, heavy, and will not fit in any of my computer bags.

(Yes, I could have gotten the smaller screen--and with it, shorter battery life and lower resolution. No deal.)

I am considering paying the $232 restocking fee to send this back to Lenovo. If I do, Lenovo will have lost a customer. Not because of their service, which is fantastic, but because of the poor product.

(I didn't think much of SLED with Gnome, either, but that is probably because I am so used to Ubuntu.)

I value portability and durability (for ~5 years of ownership) the most, followed closely by funcition and power. This will be my primary computer for work. I use Ubuntu Linux as my primary OS, running XP in VirtualBox for Acrobat and my document scanner. I am hard on my laptops; I take it everywhere with me.

I am considering getting a MacBook. The MacBook Pros are just too darn expensive. I don't want to blog $2,500 on a laptop just now. How well will a MacBook work with Ubuntu? It looks like it should work fine, given the hardware. Any issues I should know of? (I have never owned a Mac before.)

Besides a MacBook, what should I consider? The Dell XPS M1330 looks pretty good, but I have not heard good things about their customer service lately.

I have looked at the System76 laptops, but they look more clumsy than this Lenovo, and I have serious doubts about their long-term durability.

Not to be argumentative, but did you check the weight or dimensions before you bought it? And why pay $230+ to restock when the price of a new bag is probably far less? Did you look at the picture to see if there was wasted space in the design?

I'm not arguing for or against Thinkpads. I'm just wondering if you might have saved yourself the disappointment (in capital letters) if you had been a little more careful when you picked it out. :-k

50words
May 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Not to be argumentative, but did you check the weight or dimensions before you bought it? And why pay $230+ to restock when the price of a new bag is probably far less? Did you look at the picture to see if there was wasted space in the design?

I'm not arguing for or against Thinkpads. I'm just wondering if you might have saved yourself the disappointment (in capital letters) if you had been a little more careful when you picked it out. :-k

I did all of that. For whatever reason, I could not get that information from the stats or pictures.

rickyjones
May 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM

I recently purchased a Dell Latitude D630 and I couldn't be happier with it. Lightweight, long battery life, and it just works. Not sure on the Linux support as I'm using Vista, but I believe most of the hardware works without issue.

-Richard

gn2
May 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Asus make some really nice smaller laptops.
No idea if they're Linux friendly, but they sure look good.

50words
May 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
If you don't want a 15.4" laptop, don't get a 15.4" laptop, simple as that. I like the size of the screen on mine and having the fullsize keyboard, but pretty much any laptop of this size is at least 6lb, probably 7. It gets heavy after a while, not gonna lie. I'm going for a 13.3" next time. I want the ZaReason UltraLapSR.

I like the screen size just fine. I just don't like all the extra fat on the computer or the inexcusably small trackpad.

LaRoza
May 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM

The 14.1" R61i has actually a high resolution. The trackpad is large for me, but I never had another laptop so I can't compare.

grifter13
May 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM

I too have a T61, and I like you I was VERY disappointed with this laptop. I use to have a T41 and god I miss that laptop, it was such a work horse. This laptop made it into my top 10 life's regrets.

I wish I can suggest an alternative for you but as much as I hate to say its very much a hit and miss these days. Anyways, my company issued me a Dell D830 so let me share my experience with it and you can decide for yourself.

So just about everything installed and worked out of the box. Except for the following :

- hot swapping did not work for me.
- USB dies sometimes (however not sure if it Ubuntu or Dell)
- Docking station definitively does not work.
- Sometimes sleep/hibernate does not work (so I just don't)

So if you can put up with a lossy keyboard and 6.2lb weight on your shoulder maybe Dell would work out for you. Happy hunting.

Grif.

50words
May 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Putting it in the mail this afternoon.

I can't really explain it; this thing is clunky in a way you could never see in the pictures or the specs. My old T42 is the opposite. It is thin, light, powerful, and durable. This is thick and heavy, albeit powerful and--I assume--durable.

This is obviously partly my fault. I could have found out more about the dimensions if I had done better research. That would have told me a part of the story. But I had a pretty good grasp of the specs by the time I purchased this. This was not a hasty purchase; I had been looking at laptop specs--especially ThinkPad specs--casually for several months, and carefully, with the intention to buy, for about a week and a half.

But no amount of research could have accurately conveyed to me the tiny size of the trackpad or how bulky and clunky the computer would feel once I had it in my hands.

I am looking forward to getting my T42 back from its warranty service, and I will keep using that until I decide what to get next. Obviously, I am looking for something a bit smaller. I am considering a MacBook, but will wait to see if they are updated at WWDC. It should run Linux to my satisfaction, with a little tweaking, and while the screen is on the small size, I can plug it into a bigger monitor at my office.

Lord Xeb
May 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Have you tried going to www.newegg.com? They are known for their customer service, shipping is anywhere from free to a little costly (but that all depends on the weight). They also offer guaranteed 3-day shipping. So far, I have seen many laptops with great reviews (yes, you can review what you buy). Try scanning there and see what you think. I love the site... (all of the people I know who love computers go there all the time).

Also, have you tried looking at asus, acer, iBUYPOWER, CyberpowerPC, Gateway, and COMPAQ?

50words
May 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I think I just have higher standards for a laptop than many people, so I don't trust most product reviews. I have handled just about any laptop you can buy in a store, and just about all of them feel cheap compared with my T42 or a Mac.

I am someone who keeps my computers for at least 5 years. Most of the manufacturers make computers that seem to be designed to last for 2 or 3 before parts start falling off.

And yes, I love NewEgg, but they don't carry many laptops I might actually want.

BeachBum
May 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I work at the computer helpdesk at my university, and I see a ton of different notebooks during the week. Here is what I've noticed:

The Dells are hit or miss it seems, we've had 3 this week with dead harddrives (all of which were covered under warranty), yet those new XPS notebooks are very slick. One fellow bought an XPS n-series notebook with ubuntu on it! The XPS build quality is very nice, though I'm not too fond of the other Dell's I've seen (I've been spoiled by thinkpad hinges).

One thing about Dell which is comforting is they offer a business warranty which will allow you to send them a dead laptop and instead of receiving a replacement, you can receive an upgrade. I don't know the details but its worth looking into...

Thinkpads are rock solid, but the transition between the T4x series and T6x series as far as design is very disappointing. I steered away from a T6x for this very reason, though I own a now deceased T42 (something in it cracked), which was FANTASTIC!

HP's, Sony's and some toshibas, while nice, are not the most ubuntu friendly because of all the extra gadgets (webcams and such) for which drivers aren't always available.

I now have a 12.1" Lenovo v200 and its a nice notebook thusfar. One thing I do notice is that the Lenovo/ Thinkpads don't wear as elegantly as other brands; the matte keys and touchpads become shiny as they age.

The MacBook Pro's age very well, we have an entire lab of the pro's and aside from light scratches, the machines have held up very well considering their age and use. Speaking of which, if you visit your local geek depot, you may be able to find open box items which are heavily discounted. I recently picked up an open box MacBook, in perfect cosmetic and working condition, freshly imaged, retailing for 1099, for 611!

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I have a middle of the road HP 15.4" laptop that I actually like. The computer itself is far from perfect. The CTRL key gets stuck sometimes, the wireless and fglrx drivers require a bit of researching, on top of that the LCD died, etc... Despite all the problems, I love my laptop. The case feels rugged enough to take a bit of punishment, unlike most of the other laptops i've seen. The internal workings, ie, the cpu, ram, hd, etc have been absolutely spot on.

however, if I was buying again, I would go for 15". I've been using "wide screens" for 2-3 years now, and I still can't get used to them. I feel as if "normal" sized screens are better for text editing and reading. Wide screens might be better for movies, but watching movies on my laptop is not my primary motive.

igknighted
May 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I've got an acer (aspire 4520) and it has been amazing thus far. Mine is only a 14.1" screen w/ 1280x800 as that res is fine for me (I have a desktop should I need more screen), but there isn't much wasted space in the design and it just looks nicely styled. I've only had it for about 6 months, and so far it still looks like new, but I can't vouch long term for durability yet. Trackpad size is generous, but not obscenely large.

If I were you I'd go to a retail store and check a ton of models out to see what you like as far as designs, then order based on the specs you need. No surprises with style when you've actually tried it out first.

macogw
May 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I think I just have higher standards for a laptop than many people, so I don't trust most product reviews. I have handled just about any laptop you can buy in a store, and just about all of them feel cheap compared with my T42 or a Mac.
I think of Macs as extremely expensive cheap laptops. My boyfriend's was dead after less than a week. It one day just wouldn't turn on. Taking out the battery and keeping it plugged in made it boot, so the charger circuit was dead. Less than a week for the motherboard to go??? That's cheap.

BarfBag
May 15th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Why hasn't anybody posted System 76?!? http://www.system76.com/

zachtib
May 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I just recently got my T61p 15.4" and I'm very happy with it.

Of course, I ordered it expecting a desktop replacement. I just got it with Vista Basic and formatted and installed Ubuntu.

madjr
May 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM

i have 2 Dells and customer support + guarantee is excellent.

after 2 years the DVDRW was having some problems and they replaced it fast.

also, my 19" monitor got wet after a storm and they also replaced it super fast.

If you use ubuntu get one with ubuntu pre-installed.

http://dell.com/open

If You get a Dell you'll be also contributing with a Hardware vendor that actually supports Linux directly.

If you get a Mac you'll just support the competition that makes it so hard for linux to get marketshare and support from more big companies.

50words
May 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
They turned my T42 around in TWO days. DHL picked it up Tuesday evening around 4:30, and it was in my office when I got to work this afternoon with a brand new motherboard.

And seriously, I cannot believe that Lenovo calls the T60 series a successor to the T40 series. This is so much nicer.

cacycleworks
May 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM

imho, they are like any other brand... some of the special options may need tweaking / fiddling. My last Sony, a sz220, took to ubuntu quite well. I used kubuntu on it, then ubuntu, and now using xubuntu. With VectorLinux, it would boot in about 30 seconds to desktop. Amazing...

BUT, Sony's are like macs in that they are not the most sturdy. And good luck with finding replacement parts. In this regard, I find Dell head and shoulders above the others. Full service manuals online and plentiful replacement parts. Also, depending on the family you use, there are a lot of modular parts. Mine is a D630.

I recently purchased a Dell Latitude D630 and I couldn't be happier with it. Lightweight, long battery life, and it just works. Not sure on the Linux support as I'm using Vista, but I believe most of the hardware works without issue.
-Richard

I have a D630 and I love it. Here is my most recent post about it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4967291

i have 2 Dells and customer support + guarantee is excellent.

If You get a Dell you'll be also contributing with a Hardware vendor that actually supports Linux directly.

+1. I had to call Dell a few times over small issues. But my first experience was the biggest and best. I intially bought a D520 or D530 to have as an at home cheap-y laptop. I liked it so much that I wanted a better laptop and then I sent my Sony to the house. I called them up and got a no questions asked refund and got my D630 in its place. They are amazing.

I wish I can suggest an alternative for you but as much as I hate to say its very much a hit and miss these days. Anyways, my company issued me a Dell D830 so let me share my experience with it and you can decide for yourself.

So just about everything installed and worked out of the box. Except for the following :

- hot swapping did not work for me.
- USB dies sometimes (however not sure if it Ubuntu or Dell)
- Docking station definitively does not work.
- Sometimes sleep/hibernate does not work (so I just don't)

So if you can put up with a lossy keyboard and 6.2lb weight on your shoulder maybe Dell would work out for you. Happy hunting.

Grif.

Hey Grif, I'm sorry to hear the dock didn't work for you. :( The D630 and D830 are identical save for the screen size. I got one from eBay for $25. I dock/undock with the laptop off and am enjoying a proper desktop thanks to it. Attached to the docking station are:

o Dell 24" monitor
o USB hub
. dell usb keyboard that came with one of our servers
. microsoft usb mouse
. notebook "cooler" device with 2 fans
o Powered speakers from a Gateway bought 15 years ago
o Ethernet cable

I have found that using a hub helps usb. There are some issues that go back in time ... a search/review will turn it up. Basically, the intel ICH8 usb hardware (used by almost all laptop vendors) works well in windblows because it reads slowly. Linux, however, reads quickly and might get out of alignment. Normally, unplugging the hub's power and usb cable then putting back on fixes that for me.

I don't believe in suspend/hibernate, so I also "don't". :-)

Here is a link to their product page (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab). Dell chose my review as a "featured review" for the D630 ... mine shows up first of the reviews.

If anyone considers the Dell D series of laptops, here are my opinions about what to get:
- ensure you get the best resolution screen possible for your model. D630 14" can get 1440x900
- choose intel graphics
- buy the intel 3945 wireless upgrade

Hope this helps,
Chris

50words
May 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hope this helps

Very much. I used to own a Dell. It lasted for five years, and the support was very good. And I used it. A lot. Three motherboards, two CD-ROMs, two screens, two keyboards, a floppy drive, and more. But it kept on going until the original hard drive and the replacement both died, and I finally bought the ThinkPad.

I am definitely considering the ThinkPad XPS 1330, but I think I will stop by Best Buy to see if I can play with one before I commit to purchasing it.

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I am definitely considering the ThinkPad XPS 1330, but I think I will stop by Best Buy to see if I can play with one before I commit to purchasing it.

For a laptop, I think it is important to be able to use it in person. When I got mine, I was allowed to test laptops with Live cd's and such and really got to try them out. I probably wouldn't buy a laptop without that face to screen benefit.

71CH
May 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I just received my 14.1" R61 and I love it. I previously had a Dell XPS M140 and I don't miss that one bit.

pastormick
May 16th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hmmm... I (finally) got my T61 a couple of months ago and after the obligatory ditching of Vista, installed Gutsy - now upgraded to Hardy. Agreed - not everything worked right off the bat, but within a few minutes at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki I got everything working.

Sorry for your disappointment; after eMachines, Acers, a Sony Vaio and an HP, this T61 is tops in my (biased) opinion.

Mick