PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Cannot deselect wallpaper!?

imbjr
May 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I thought I'd trial KDE4 under a VirtualBox environment. One thing that immediately struck me - how the Hell do you turn off the wallpaper and just have a plain colour backdrop?

Man, I've had some nux problems in the past, but such a trivial thing has defeated me!

imbjr
May 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Anyone help?

It's bizarre I can't figure this out and there seems to be no help for this on-line.

imbjr
May 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Dear me, this is terrible.

I've managed to get rid of the wallpaper by selecting a non-existent image file, but I still cannot change the backdrop to a colour of my choice.

Even the appearance settings do not appear to allow the desktop colour to be changed.

This is increasingly bizarre. I'm beginning to think I'm glad I'm only curious as to what KDE looks like these days. I don't think I want to have an environment that puts up such a fight to change such a simple thing.

Anyone at all know how to do this? Seriously, this is really odd not be able to do this.

imbjr
May 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Oh dear. This just gets worse.

I slapped my head when I realised I had not consulted the in-built help.

Fired it up. Mmm, must build an index. Ok. Now I cannot get the Build Index button to ungray. I even specified the top of my home directory.

I think I'm going to have to FAIL KDE for now.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I think I'm going to have to FAIL KDE for now.

As long you're quite clear that it's KDE4 you're failing, there won't be much resistance.

3.5 is fairly stable (though with what I put it through, not always), and most of us KDE users are just waiting for 4.1. The KDE devs said that they released 4.0 so that application developers would start writing for it, and it's not meant for general usage. I wish I could find that post again (if someone does, could you please pm/email me?)

imbjr
May 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
As long you're quite clear that it's KDE4 you're failing

Yes, KDE4 definately fails. I installed the prior version thereafter and all was better.

One other item of wrong under KDE4 was the top-right widget control. It never bought up the dialog to actually add a widget.

Interestingly, I got kcontrol running under KDE4 and thought the dialogs existed to allow me to change the desktop, it did actually do it!

KDE has some nice touchs but version 4 really let the side down.