PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password not working

chango77745
May 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I am trying to log in to my machine and it keeps telling me I have a wrong user name and password. I know both are correct...I was just on it like 1 hour ago....I am not sure what the problem is.

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
1: Have you checked to make sure your caps lock and number pad indicators are in the correct position?
2: Are any of the keys on your keyboard sticking?
3: Is it possible you've mistyped one or the other (or both)?

Those are the three biggest problems I have with passwords on the help desk.

chango77745
May 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
None of these apply to me. I have checked and made sure of all of these and none are the problem. I think I may have downloaded something that kept changing my psassword. Because before I shutdown it would not let me do a sudo code.... I had to reset my password. And then it let me.....so I am not sure....

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
None of these apply to me. I have checked and made sure of all of these and none are the problem. I think I may have downloaded something that kept changing my psassword. Because before I shutdown it would not let me do a sudo code.... I had to reset my password. And then it let me.....so I am not sure....

Chango, I've never heard of anything that can be downloaded onto Linux that can change the password file--unless you downloaded something and ran it as root. I know you reset your password--did you reset it to the original, or is it possible that you mistyped? (I say that as someone who frequently "fat-fingers" his password.)

The only thing I can think of at this point is to boot to a live CD, move your files to a separate folder right off the root of the drive (I used /zzdocs), and reinstall (without formatting, of course). If you've done a lot of customization, that may not be a comfortable option, but it may be the only one left.

chango77745
May 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I did do a lot of modifications....

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I did do a lot of modifications....

:( I really hate it, but you may lose those mods, unless they're in script files that you can also move to the /zzdocs folder.

chango77745
May 14th, 2008, 04:33 AM
When I put in the boot cd, I have access to the file system. Is there something I can do with that?

aysiu
May 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Reset your password?
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

omer53
August 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
The same thing happned to me just now i am using UBUNTU 9.04
I was having problem with re-adding my computer in ubuntuone .. and the solution was to go into password manager and delete ubuntu one from there. i did that and ubuntu one was working fine .... BUT ... then i my ubuntu account password was changed .....:confused: really funny
I rest it already but .............. what happned out there i have no idea