PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernal Upgrade

The Minder
May 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm having many probs with 8.04 especially with nVidia drivers. One thing I've noticed is that my kernel is 2.6.22-14-generic which I do not think is the latest incarnation. I've tried walkerk's excellent tutorial at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755&highlight=update+kernal but when I run the script it tells me my kernel is the latest, when I know it's not.

So, how do I update the Ubuntu kernel to the latest version? And yes, I have searched the forum to no avail.

Advice appreciated

vorgusa
May 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
hmm I am currently in the middle of an upgrade now so I can not check to see exactly what you are looking for. but if you go to System -> admin -> Synaptic packet manager and then search for kernel it may lead you in the right direction.. also double check your software sources (System -> admin -> Software Sources) and make sure you have the correct repositories, not sure why they would be incorrect, but worth a check.

bobnutfield
May 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm having many probs with 8.04 especially with nVidia drivers. One thing I've noticed is that my kernel is 2.6.22-14-generic which I do not think is the latest incarnation. I've tried walkerk's excellent tutorial at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755&highlight=update+kernal but when I run the script it tells me my kernel is the latest, when I know it's not.

So, how do I update the Ubuntu kernel to the latest version? And yes, I have searched the forum to no avail.

Advice appreciated

I am guessing that you upgraded rather than did a fresh install and during the process you elected to keep your original menu.lst. If you will check your menu.lst list file, I believe you will find Hardy's correct kernel and all you need to do is point grub to it.

Bob

The Minder
May 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
vorgusa:
I checked as you suggested... everything appears correct

bobnutfield
This was a fresh install on a new hard drive. I originally had problems with latest kernel and found the easiest option was to edit the menu.lst file. Unfortunately, I deleted rather than commenting out the lines pointing to the latest kernel and now can't seem to get them back... my bad! I have time on my hands so I might try another fresh install on a new hard drive... I have plenty of hardware laying around.

The Minder
May 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Problem solved with a fresh install on a new hard drive. This is like taking a sledge hammer to an acorn, but it worked.