PDA

View Full Version : Import duties for South Africa - buying an iMac

n1kol@!
May 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I am planning on buying one of those new 24-inch iMacs. Buying it locally (in South Africa) would be extremely expensive compared to the price on the U.S. Apple website. What would the cost of importing one from oversees (US or Europe) be? Has anyone done this. I need help as soon as possible (preferably today), so thanks in advance for your help.

intense.ego
May 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
The import duties in South Africa are notoriously high (I used to live there), but I believe there is usually no import duties on electronics. On top of that (if I am wrong) you would have to pay VAT, customs, and p&p. It would work out quite expensive, but would probably still work out cheaper than the local prices.

madjr
May 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I am planning on buying one of those new 24-inch iMacs. Buying it locally (in South Africa) would be extremely expensive compared to the price on the U.S. Apple website. What would the cost of importing one from oversees (US or Europe) be? Has anyone done this. I need help as soon as possible (preferably today), so thanks in advance for your help.

in my country we pay no taxes for electronics shipments that cost less than $200

maybe in SA is similar. But am sure you'll have to pay big taxes and big shipping fees.

Anyway what's important is the guarantee.

if you purchase one overseas then i don't think you will have local guarantee.

Anyway you could build a normal PC with a 24" monitor, a lot more CHEAPER then a imac.

maybe even a "Dual-screen monitors" PC