PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] (I want) no borders

lode
May 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if/how it's possible to remove window borders in XFCE? I now have a 1 pixel-wide border, but it's quite an annoyance to change the colour of this border every time I change the GTK theme.

When searching for a way to do this, I, ironically, mostly found solutions on how to add a border instead of removing one :)

Thanks in advance.

lode
May 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Anyone?

morgengenuss
May 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
are you referring to an xfwm4-theme without border? (i myself have only done one theme, but i can imagine that it's possible.)

what exactly should that look like? (screenshot, mockup?)

angry_johnnie
May 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't usually tinker with xfce too much, but, unless I have a really bad memory, xfce doesn't like to be borderless.

I remember being left without window decorations a couple of times, and then I couldn't even type anything into a terminal to get things back to normal. I had to start with a new, clean, session.

Maybe you'd be better off with a window manager that is meant to behave that way. Try Xmonad, dwm, wmii, or awesome. All of them are available in the repositories, and, while they're not exactly easy to use, they're not all that difficult either.

They're tiling window managers, but can be set to floating mode. Read up on them, they're actually pretty good. :-)