PDA

View Full Version : Lost my google account... A very sad person...

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
*sigh*

I was out of town for three days, giving a couple of exams for colleges in two different cities. When I returned, I found out that my google, account along with an orkut account and a gmail account attached to it, got hacked by someone who seemed to be interested in gaining access to my orkut account. That person deleted all the photographs and videos that I had on my orkut account and replaced them with two photographs of me with some girls in bikinis. Before this, I did not even know that these photos existed. (S)he also sent messages to everyone in my orkut account, asking them to go check the photos in the account.

*sigh*

After one police report and one support form to google, what's happened is that google blocked that account, and the police here does not seem to know how to even contact google about the case. Google wrote in their email to me that if any orkut account was attached to that google account, then it was deleted, but its been more than a day and a half since I got that email and the orkut account can still be visited by people (confirmed by visiting it from my sister's account).

*sigh* (again)

I don't really care about the orkut account that much, I don't care if people see those photos. What I do care about, however, is that my gmail account was also lost. All my newsletters, bug report updates, every forum and social network's updates, everything I did online... everything... goes to that account. After losing it, I don't feel like coming online is useful at all. I don't feel like looking at the ubuntu forums and helping people (although I've now changed the email address in ubuntu forums); I don't feel like checking out the other websites I used to frequent; I don't feel like doing anything online now.

-> Here is a very sad guy <-

billgoldberg
May 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
sad indeed.

Did you figure out how they hacked your account?

Maybe the password was to obvious or to weak?

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
sad indeed.

Did you figure out how they hacked your account?

Maybe the password was to obvious or to weak?

Nah, the password was not too obvious or too weak. It was a mixture of random capital and small letters along with special characters. There were no words or names or anything else in the password. It was made up of completely random characters.

I don't know how they hacked it. I never even typed the password at anyone else's home, for the fear of keyloggers. If, however, there was a utility that captured the screen at every click, then that might have saved my password, as I used the on-screen keyboard in windows at some people's houses.

I am trying to find out who did it, but so far I have nothing.

CBrendan
May 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds to me like the work of a key logger but you never know. I save my emails to a removable medium like a USB flash drive and delete the ones in my inbox. You can never be too safe these days.

Sorry.

Tomosaur
May 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Nah, the password was not too obvious or too weak. It was a mixture of random capital and small letters along with special characters. There were no words or names or anything else in the password. It was made up of completely random characters.

I don't know how they hacked it. I never even typed the password at anyone else's home, for the fear of keyloggers. If, however, there was a utility that captured the screen at every click, then that might have saved my password, as I used the on-screen keyboard in windows at some people's houses.

I am trying to find out who did it, but so far I have nothing.

Well, first step is to save the photographs to your hard drive, then find an EXIF data reader for linux (I think there's a even a firefox extension for it). This can help you identify who took the photographs in the first place (Might even have been the person who hacked your account) - a lot of people are instantly identifiable by the EXIF data alone, others may require a bit of searching around. Then a little detective work should get you closer to the criminal (and it is usually considered a crime to use another person's account without authorisation, particularly something which is likely to contain personal information such as your email account), and you can then make an educated guess, or inform the police of the information you've obtained, and they'll be able to pursue it further.

Hope that helps!

hermes0710
May 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds to me like the work of a key logger but you never know. I save my emails to a removable medium like a USB flash drive and delete the ones in my inbox. You can never be too safe these days.

Sorry.

I agree

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM
seems that this is going around. another member here has the same issue with gmail and orkut....hmm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771104&highlight=orkut

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Sounds to me like the work of a key logger but you never know.

A keylogger on Linux? I never typed in my password on a Windows box. I used the on-screen keyboard instead.

There are keyloggers and rootkits for Linux, but almost no-one here uses Linux.

Well, first step is to save the photographs to your hard drive, then find an EXIF data reader for linux (I think there's a even a firefox extension for it). This can help you identify who took the photographs in the first place (Might even have been the person who hacked your account) - a lot of people are instantly identifiable by the EXIF data alone, others may require a bit of searching around. Then a little detective work should get you closer to the criminal (and it is usually considered a crime to use another person's account without authorisation, particularly something which is likely to contain personal information such as your email account), and you can then make an educated guess, or inform the police of the information you've obtained, and they'll be able to pursue it further.

Hope that helps!

I don't think that would work because orkut resizes and converts the uploaded images to .jpg
I used exif (from the repositories) on the two images, and this is the output I get -

Corrupt data (ExifLoader):
The data supplied does not seem to contain EXIF data.

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM
seems that this is going around. another member here has the same issue with gmail and orkut....hmm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771104&highlight=orkut

I read through that thread. Same country, what gives?

Like him, my paypal account (as well as an e-gold account) were linked to that email address. However, I changed the passwords, security questions and email addresses for both of them as soon as I found out about the compromised email address. There has been no transaction from either of them.

rune0077
May 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, whoever did it had pictures of you with two girls in a bikini (the girls, I assume, not you), so if you know where those pictures where taken, it has to be someone who were there, right?

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I read through that thread. Same country, what gives?

not sure, but i'd never heard of orkut until it was brought up by that previous poster. shoddy security - one reason i stay away from social networking sites.

kenono
May 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear your story, I've read another story (http://www.davidairey.co.uk/google-gmail-security-hijack/) similar to this.
Maybe the same thing happened to yourself?

inportb
May 13th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Have you read this?
http://www.frenchvanillaicedcoffee.com/2007/12/25/do-you-use-gmail-if-so-you-must-read-this/

Glucklich
May 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
The pictures obviously lead to somebody you know. They also lead to a personal vendetta. Which lead to a person who has a motive and determination. But if it was a person that you hardly knew, he/she just had to stay pissed. So, I'm guessing that it's a person that knew you relatively well. He/she has been close enough to you that has seen it input it once, or she truly knows you that she finds you predictable. So, I'm going to take a wild guess here. Old jealous girlfriend that you broke up with but she stills in a denial phase?

keykero
May 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Well, whoever did it had pictures of you with two girls in a bikini (the girls, I assume, not you), so if you know where those pictures where taken, it has to be someone who were there, right?

Exactly what I was thinking. Who took the pictures of you?

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Glucklich: I've never mentioned my password to any girl.

kenono and importb: reading those after I post this.

rune0077: there weren't just two girls, there were seven of them, and yeah, I was not wearing a bikini.

SuperSon!c: Its the whole Google account that was compromised, not just orkut. If you take a look at http://sukarnmaini.googlepages.com/, you will see that my website has been closed down. That happened after I got a message from Google telling me that the account had been blocked.

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Who took the pictures of you?

The pictures were taken in Austria on 14th July 2006. I remember exactly what happened that day. Heck, I remember almost everything that happened between the 1st of July and the 15th of July 2006. I was visiting Austria in a group youth exchange camp. There was one Indian guy there other than me.

It would not make sense for anyone from another country to do this after two years.
Those photographs were not present on my camera, so they were not stolen from my computer or any device which belongs to me.

The only thing that remains is that the other Indian guy who was there with me, either hacked my account and did all this, or else some friend of his had access to his photographs at some point, and kept them with him until (s)he did this.

I tried to visit that guy today, but quite a busy guy. I couldn't reach him today. I got a hold of him on phone, but he said that he wouldn't get home until late night.

I'll try to confront him about this tomorrow and will ask him exactly who had access to his photos. I'll then try to see if I can recognize any names that he mentions, if he mentions any, to see if there's someone who might have had a grudge against me, or if someone is there who I knew. Also, I will be keeping an eye on his behavior when I bring up the topic.

FuturePilot
May 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about the dilemma. :( I really hope you can get it straightened out.

The pictures were taken in Austria on 14th July 2008. I remember exactly what happened that day. Heck, I remember almost everything that happened between the 1st of July and the 15th of July 2008.

Hmmm. My calender must be stuck. :-k

Glucklich
May 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Your answer is between the seven people who were with you and the persons they might have shared the pictures with. You don't need to say a password to any girl, we usually take as a password anything we like so we won't forget about it. That's why I said, or that person knows you really well, or have seen you input your password (you probably were so distracted inputting it that you didn't noticed he/she was looking). It happened me before, and I got "hacked". But it was pretty easy to find who I had to blame. Actually it happened two times, but the second I think it was the real deal (yeah, I used Hotmail back then).

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Have you read this?
http://www.frenchvanillaicedcoffee.com/2007/12/25/do-you-use-gmail-if-so-you-must-read-this/

I just read through that.

It does not seem to me as if the filters attack was used. I remember modifying a filter a couple of days before I left town for my exams. I even took a look at all of my filters to see what filters I had there, and why I had them there. I had been using gmail for quite a while, and I found a couple of obsolete filters there that I deleted.

I left town on the 9th of May, to return on the 12th. On the 7th of May I put up the message on orkut that I was going to be offline till the 12th of May. I guess the hacker used that message to his advantage, as on the 11th of May a girl called my mobile to ask me why I had put up those pics. At first I thought she was joking, because I did not even remember getting any photos taken of me, with girls wearing bikinis. She told me that she had asked me on orkut how my exam went and I had supposedly told her that it went well. She said this conversation took place on orkut at about 3 PM, but I had my Law admission exam from 3 PM to 5 PM, with the reporting time at the examination center being 2:30 PM.

Its all too well timed...

The hacker could have sent vulgar messages from my account to all 129 of my contacts, but (s)he chose, instead, to act as if the real me was still in possession of account, and that I was operating it myself. (S)he sent messages to all my contacts asking them to see the photos, along with a smiley face in the message. (S)he even sent a message to my sister saying -

Hi didi!

Go and see my album too [:P]

didi is a hindi word used for elder sister. I never call my sister "didi", I use a different term, and this is where she caught that the account was compromised.
[:P] is the tongue out smiley.

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the dilemma. :( I really hope you can get it straightened out.

Hmmm. My calender must be stuck. :-k

Whoops, sorry! should have been 2006, not 2008.

Just got too used to typing the current year.

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Your answer is between the seven people who were with you and the persons they might have shared the pictures with. You don't need to say a password to any girl, we usually take as a password anything we like so we won't forget about it. That's why I said, or that person knows you really well, or have seen you input your password (you probably were so distracted inputting it that you didn't noticed he/she was looking). It happened me before, and I got "hacked". But it was pretty easy to find who I had to blame. Actually it happened two times, but the second I think it was the real deal (yeah, I used Hotmail back then).

As I've said earlier in this thread, my password was made of random capital and small letters mixed with special characters. Something along the lines of UJA?oE.K
I did not derive it from any sentence. I did not derive it from any words. It was completely random.

The girls who were with me there were all from different parts of Europe. There does not seem to be much of a chance that they would know any hindi words, and also know who my sister is. The same, however, cannot be said for the other Indian guy who was there with me, and for his friends who might have gained access to his photos. This is why I am about to pay him a visit to try to squeeze out some information. He is quite busy though, and I believe him when he says he is busy. He owns a couple of companies and manages them with his father.

keykero
May 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Seems the evidence is starting to point to one direction. By the way, did you use the same single password for multiple sites or accounts?

Amanda HazLaPaz
May 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm completely new around here, but please let me extend my sympathies. I can't imagine how *awful* that must be-- all that lost data.

I hope your exGF finds some dignity and self-respect in the upcoming years and learns not to resort to such immature acts.

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Seems the evidence is starting to point to one direction. By the way, did you use the same single password for multiple sites or accounts?

No. My passwords are generated by a password manager and never stored anywhere on my computer. They are generated on demand by using my master password, the website address (like google.com), and an encryption mechanism (like SHA-256).

Sukarn
May 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm completely new around here, but please let me extend my sympathies. I can't imagine how *awful* that must be-- all that lost data.

I hope your exGF finds some dignity and self-respect in the upcoming years and learns not to resort to such immature acts.

Cannot be an ex-GF. I've never had any serious relationships, and I've never mentioned my password to any girl.

Tux.Ice
May 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
congratulations linux has a rootkit!

ice60
May 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM
i'm sorry that happened, i've never had anything like that happen, but i can imagine how i'd feel just from very mild things that have happened to me in the past - not wanting to use the internet again!! plus having it on your mind more than you'd think.

the internet can be a really evil place!!! the other day i clicked on someone's account who was really rude on youtube, i looked at some other things he'd posted and a reply to one of his posts read "i'm only a kid, leave me alone" i looked at the kids account and he was a 9 year old with all his favourite cartoons on his account. this guy was repeatedly posting really sexually explicit things to this 9 year old. sorry for going OT, but like i said the internet can be really evil.

you have got to find out how your account was hacked! one way is through a man-in-the-middle attack on the LAN you use to login to web-based accounts, google uses https for logins, but if you use the same passowrd for other sites e.g. youtube (which doesn't use https logins) that can be sniffed and the hacker will be able to login to your google account.

do you trust all the LANs you use to login to places that use the same password as your google account?

also, when you login to gmail if you use http, instead of https, all your email will be sent in the clear after the login. logging in using https doesn't have that problem, the connection will stay with https.

i have this bookmarked for when i use gmail to make sure i use https
https://mail.google.com

Redrazor39
May 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
there was a worm spreading around orkut a few months ago. It stole people's accounts and posted pictures and sent obscene messages. It was horrible and all over the news.

Sukarn
May 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM
there was a worm spreading around orkut a few months ago. It stole people's accounts and posted pictures and sent obscene messages. It was horrible and all over the news.

Yeah, but that affected Windows.

Sukarn
May 14th, 2008, 06:17 AM
congratulations linux has a rootkit!

Not necessarily... Yes, Linux does have rootkits, but none of my other accounts seem to be compromised. However, this might also be because of the fact that the google account was the only one for which I typed in my password rather than using a password manager. Although the password had been generated by a password manager, I had it memorized.

Amanda HazLaPaz
May 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Cannot be an ex-GF. I've never had any serious relationships, and I've never mentioned my password to any girl.

I realized yesterday that I responded in the wrong thread: same issue, different scenario (with a person who had a vindictive GF). My apologies for confusing the two threads (and not reading more carefully).

::embarrassed::