PDA

View Full Version : Ark or Arch?

Barrucadu
May 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I have been wondering this for a while, what is the proper way to pronounce "Arch Linux"? I always call it "Ark".

will1911a1
May 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I believe I read somewhere that it was intended to be pronounced "Arch" (I looked it up while I was bored one day).

Barrucadu
May 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I thought I read that somewhere but after I've been calling it "Ark" since I first read the name it just sounds a bit odd. I suppose I'll just have to get used to it.

chucky chuckaluck
May 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
other than it being the right way to pronounce it, there's another reason to pronounce arch with the ch sound found in 'choo-choo' - http://www.arklinux.org/

THREAD CLOSED

Barrucadu
May 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.arklinux.org/

Ooh, there's another distro called Ark Linux. I'll be sure to pronounce it the right way from now on :D

Dr Small
May 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I generally pronounce things the way they read. So it is Arch (as in the "Golden gate archway" in St. Louis, MO) Linux.

MisfitI38
May 14th, 2008, 12:22 AM
It is pronounced "Arch" as in "parchment". :)

cardinals_fan
May 14th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I generally pronounce things the way they read. So it is Arch (as in the "Golden gate archway" in St. Louis, MO) Linux.
The Golden Gate Archway?!?!?! Don't you mean the Gateway Arch? :)

Dr Small
May 14th, 2008, 02:02 AM
The Golden Gate Archway?!?!?! Don't you mean the Gateway Arch? :)
Ya ya. Whatever :) I have never been there either. lol

MONODA
May 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM
i used to say ark but once I was reading a list of distros and realized I said ark twice and further inspected the names untill I saw the difference, I now say Arch.

Barrucadu
May 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It's a battle... but I am getting myself to say "Arch" now. I usually say "Ark" and then catch myself so it comes out as "Ark...CH", which sounds a little odd :p

finferflu
May 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
In one thread we discussed about this, and it was said that initially Judd came up with the name ArchLinux, inspired by the Greek prefix "arch", meaning "chief", as in arch-nemesis. So Arch is the *ahem* Head of all distros *ahem*
I would say it's the platonic archetype of what a distro is in the ideal world. Perfection exists.

[/fanboysm]

will1911a1
May 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
In one thread we discussed about this, and it was said that initially Judd came up with the name ArchLinux, inspired by the Greek prefix "arch", meaning "chief", as in arch-nemesis. So Arch is the *ahem* Head of all distros *ahem*
I would say it's the platonic archetype of what a distro is in the ideal world. Perfection exists.

[/fanboysm]

+1 :D

ynnhoj
May 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM
i don't know how some of you got to calling it "ark" anyways. i mean, if it were "arc linux" then sure-- but there's a 'h' in there! :o

Raccoon1400
May 17th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Arch. Ark is a seperate distribution.

doorknob60
May 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM
i don't know how some of you got to calling it "ark" anyways. i mean, if it were "arc linux" then sure-- but there's a 'h' in there! :o

+1 Never considered the fact that people would even think about pronouncing it "Ark" :lolflag: