PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linksys WUSB54GC!

Milardo
May 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I wonder how can I get my linksys wusb54gc compact wireless g usb adapter to work in latest ubuntu? I've been trying to get it to work ever since 3 older ubuntu releases, tried following other peoples' scripts, etc. but don't work. I also need to enable wpa2 support if possible. Also my password is long, does that matter? What to do?

chili555
May 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Is this an rt73 chipset? You can confirm with one of these, with the device plugged in:
sudo lsusb -vv
sudo lshw -C networkIf you need to post these, please omit any details not related to your wireless. If it is an rt73, you might try:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy-genericIt includes a newer, improved rt73usb driver.

Please post your progress.

IamAcoconut
May 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
sudo lsusb -vvgives me anything but chipset name

sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan2
serial: 00:1e:e5:9f:24:00
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=RT73 WLAN
Indeed, it's a Ralink chipset.

Here's a script that's supposed to handle driver installation: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=516649&highlight=WUSB54GC&page=12
Yup, page 12. First refers to ndiswrapper.
You may as well DIY using the same SerialMonkey drivers, or original ones.
Both described here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT73
And just the latter also here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RT73_Wireless

I tried it with newst SerialMonkey drivers, but to no avail. Still gotta check a few things though, then I'll go the other way.

Tom--d
May 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
When I had that wireless usb, I installed ndiswrapper and used the rt73 windows driver.

Works perfect with it! :)

IamAcoconut
May 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM
When I had that wireless usb, I installed ndiswrapper and used the rt73 windows driver.
Well, fine, but it's not a way. It's a workaround. Which you can easily setup with backtracing the thread I linked.
I need monitor mode for instance, which is not supported by ndiswrapper.

Milardo
May 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Still can't get it to work. Looking at the adapter itself, from time to time it flashes really fast like it is trying to get recognized. I have to connect to router that has a pretty long password/key for wpa/wpa2 personal. i find that i can't really type it in all the way at least i think. Anybody know of that problem? What else can I do?

IamAcoconut
May 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm sorry for being so late!

Milardo, does your Linksys work with unencrypted networks, or not at all? What's the driver you use.

My WUSB54GC works ok as far as I checked - managed mode, no encryption and monitor mode. It works with the standard Ubuntu 7.10 rt73usb driver everyone told me to blacklist in favor of others. I ran the uninstall script (serial monkey drivers) and just used the system driver. Major downside is the adapter not being recognized by Wicd or network-manager.

Maybe I still could have run it on those drivers I mentioned earlier - could have fu*ked something up - but I don't have all the time to just sit and work on it... Yet I hope this post will be at least slightly helpful.

*Update*
Is Master mode supposed to work with this adapter? I've been told so, but it doesn't. With neither SM rt73 nor rt73usb.
*Update*
The original driver (RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0) only makes it worse (no monitor mode).

Milardo
May 19th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Doesn't work at all. I've tried many different installation methods, like trying to install ndiswrapper which couldn't install. Tried to compile the ralink driver didn't work.

IamAcoconut
May 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Doesn't work at all. I've tried many different installation methods, like trying to install ndiswrapper which couldn't install. Tried to compile the ralink driver didn't work.
But you tried it from the terminal? ifconfig, iwconfig, iwlist
Just to make sure - I didn't see anything with GUI tools, yet the card was working.

Milardo
May 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
okay I installed ndisgtk like and a rt73.inf for the driver as documented here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/ndiswrapper.html

But how to connect to nonbroadcasting router, tried to type in ssid and have to choose wpa personal and type password but didn't work. What should I do?:confused:

IamAcoconut
May 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
okay I installed ndisgtk like and a rt73.inf for the driver as documented here.

But how to connect to nonbroadcasting router, tried to type in ssid and have to choose wpa personal and type password but didn't work. What should I do?:confused:
I take it you answer positively to my previous question. First try Wicd.
Go to preferences, and set wext as wpa_supplicant. Then click "network"->"hidden network". http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,wpa/

LordDijon
May 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I am trying to up-date my WUSB54GC, but im a noob with limited knowledge and I have a few questions, first my WUSB54GC fails to show a Version #, how might I find this out, second how can I be sure I have the latest drivers and firmware installed from Ralink tech.. also how to install these would be nice. I currently am running Xubuntu 8.0.4 HH on an old P3 laptop I want to develop as a wireless security self-education rig...Here is what I have....

lorddijon@lorddijon-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VM (KM) Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 41
serial: 00:02:a5:b6:48:96
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k4-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=66 link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1c:10:63:90:aa
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=10.0.0.5 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

IamAcoconut
May 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I am trying to up-date my WUSB54GC, but im a noob with limited knowledge and I have a few questions, first my WUSB54GC fails to show a Version #, how might I find this out, second how can I be sure I have the latest drivers and firmware installed from Ralink tech.. also how to install these would be nice.
Pal, it's all been said! Save for the chipset version - why do you need to know that? It's RT73 in every model AFAIK.

lsmod |grep rt73
modinfo <drivername>
It's likely you just have the rt73usb, probably not loaded as your card wasn't recognized.
In such case
sudo modprobe rt73usb no matter if it's SerialMonkey or system provided. Should GUI tools fail to recognize any networks try
iwlist wlan0 scan

scottslinux
May 30th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I have a wusb54G and have been unable to get it to work until.....last night!!

I installed wicd and in preferences chose the WEXT driver. Then to my amazement..it worked. I tried all of the suggestions that everyone has made to no avail.

I hope this works for you. Check the wiki page for wicd for the download.

Good luck!

Scott

IamAcoconut
May 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I installed wicd and in preferences chose the WEXT driver. Then to my amazement..it worked. I tried all of the suggestions that everyone has made to no avail.
as I had posted above:

First try Wicd.
Go to preferences, and set wext as wpa_supplicant.
;) Thanks anyway.
Then again, ndiswrapper is just a workaround - no Master, no Monitor.

Milardo
May 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Okay I got internet working by using this article.

I used the cd to install ndiswrapper.

Tried using wicd but doesn't seem work or seem to have an option for encryption. Anyways I got internet to work by using nmapplet, you left click on top right icon that has dual monitors. Works well. However network manager doesn't work there isn't even an option to enter correct encryption!

My question now is where can I make a profile or save internet ssid/encryption/password so I can just click on it and get on the internet and not have to reenter settings everytime?