PDA

View Full Version : Is a D passing

JacobRogers
May 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I've never made a D before, though I've made an F before. Is a D passing or failing? I don't know and the school's website won't let anybody make a degree progress report now because it would over load the system since everybody is checking their grades.

inportb
May 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Can you call your registrar about this?

JacobRogers
May 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Can you call your registrar about this?

No, it's 1:47 am my time.

Bakon Jarser
May 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
probably depends on your school and if it's a core class. if it is related to your major they'll probably make you take it again. If it's one of those generic classes that isn't important that everybody has to take just to say they took it, you might be ok. Study harder next semester.

grossaffe
May 13th, 2008, 07:58 AM
from my experience, D is passing, but in some instances it may not be good enough. for example, at GMU, you need a D to get credit for Calculus, but you need a C or better to move on to Calculus II, so basically its passing as you aren't majoring in a subject requiring heavy math

shadylookin
May 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
getting a D is typically considered passing however depending on the school they usually require that you get at least a C on classes that count toward your major to receive credit for taking the course.

amar
May 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Depends on the system, at higher, it went A pass, B pass, C pass, D fail, E fail ...

However at Edinburgh uni, a D is a pass.

So
It depends on the system

swoll1980
May 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
every school I know of went on a 4 point system and D was a point so if you got a D all 4 quarters you would have 4 points and pass the class, but the way it really worked was 2 points per cemester that way you couldn't get an A your first quarter and E's the rest of the way, and still pass. You had to at least have one passing grade every half year

Bubba64
May 13th, 2008, 09:18 AM
At the college I attend you can take the class again and the higher grade is the only one on the transcript. I believe this is a fail in any class at my university. Donīt sweat it though I took some very hard biology classes and used the pass/fail option to keep my 3.7 GPA, so investigate this option at your school in the future.

JacobRogers
May 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I found out it's passing, it was my last French class 202. I did ok on 101,102, and 201 but for some reason this semester I did lousy in French. I'm not a French major or anything so I think it counts as passing, albeit not very well.

Study harder next semester.

Will do, but thankfully I won't have to take any French classes.

grossaffe
May 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
every school I know of went on a 4 point system and D was a point so if you got a D all 4 quarters you would have 4 points and pass the class, but the way it really worked was 2 points per cemester that way you couldn't get an A your first quarter and E's the rest of the way, and still pass. You had to at least have one passing grade every half year

E's? :lolflag: heaven forbid someone get an F! reminds me of when my elementary school experimented with U for Unsatisfactory.