PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz - Only one workspace

okeven
May 13th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I installed compiz, and now I only have one workspace. I can change the number up or down, and it does change the number of workspace boxes on the lower taskbar, but only the first works. The others are just gray boxes. If I click on them, nothing happens. Help!

okeven
May 13th, 2008, 05:41 AM
And another thing beginner question. How do I switch back from compiz to the default window control program?

pch0mey
May 13th, 2008, 05:56 AM
And another thing beginner question. How do I switch back from compiz to the default window control program?

System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects

okeven
May 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM
System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects

That worked. Thanks. My other desktop workspaces are working now too, but only once compiz was turned off. So, how can I get it working under compiz?

okeven
May 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
bump....

Stefan Stryjecki
May 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hi okeven.

According to my experience this happens due to compiz misunderstanding the "regular" workspaces (i.e., those created without compositing) and putting all its workspaces inside the first "regular" one.

What solved the problem for me was:

1) disable Compiz (according to instructions given by pch0mey)
2) set only one workspace here
3) enable Compiz again
4) now set as many workspaces as you wish and you should be fine

Let me know if it worked for you.

okeven
May 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi okeven.

According to my experience this happens due to compiz misunderstanding the "regular" workspaces (i.e., those created without compositing) and putting all its workspaces inside the first "regular" one.

What solved the problem for me was:

1) disable Compiz (according to instructions given by pch0mey)
2) set only one workspace here
3) enable Compiz again
4) now set as many workspaces as you wish and you should be fine

Let me know if it worked for you.

Just tried it. Still did not work. Each workspace I add still is just a gray box that does not when you click on it.

Urik
May 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Check that you have "Gconf" and not "Flat file" in compiz configuration settings. It causes such problem.

okeven
May 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Check that you have "Gconf" and not "Flat file" in compiz configuration settings. It causes such problem.

Just checked and I do have "Gconf" selected. Any other ideas?

Newtt11_78
May 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I ran into something similar when I enabled desktop cube. Had to go into compizconfig settings manager, general options, desktop size (tab), horizontal virtual size which I set to 4 and then could access them.

okeven
May 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I ran into something similar when I enabled desktop cube. Had to go into compizconfig settings manager, general options, desktop size (tab), horizontal virtual size which I set to 4 and then could access them.

Weird. Still did not work. Now I have 1 working desktop, and 3 gray boxes that do nothing!

xored
January 8th, 2010, 01:20 AM
When you using Compiz on normal or special mode (Karmic or Intrepid) you will not able to use wmctrl to use switch the desktops. I have described the way to accomplish that here

http://wiki.impressive-media.de/doc/toggle-or-rotate-through-your-workspace-using-a-shortcut-while-having-compiz-activated-gnome