PDA

View Full Version : I now use Arch after a whirlwind of problems!

smartboyathome
May 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I finally got arch booting up, and am configuring based on the excellent beginners guide on the arch wiki. Be prepared, a long story on my journey to using arch on my external hard drive is about to begin! :KS

#####--BEGIN LONG WINDED STORY---#####
I started because of E17, which, from what I was told by the experts on the channel #e, is excellent for it as it offers minimal hassles with E17. Anyway, I was hesitant because I had a working Ubuntu box which fit my needs almost until a few weeks ago when I was being too stubborn and tried to figure out how to get Entrance to work instead of GDM. To say that I eventually ruined that install is an understatement.

Anyway, I got the 2007.08 disk and worked my way through the installer find the partitioner not working due to an error which I could not remember now (had something to do with a logical partition being too big, Gparted didn't pick this up :(). I just went straight to mountpoints and had it just erase the spare partition I had on the external hard drive from when I used it with my laptop, and set it to where my swap was. I then went through the rest of the steps just fine, but upon rebooting, I got an error that it couldn't boot grub ( error 18 ). It took me until the next Linux users group meeting (which was lucking an install fest :D) to get it resolved, where we found out it should have been set so that arch was booting to hd(0,0) instead of (1,0).

After that whole mess, I dropped my external hard drive on the floor, and luckily didn't break the drive itself but the usb chord. Seagate shipped me a new one which arrived in two and a half weeks (which is today). I am so happy that the external hard drive itself didn't break, especially since it was so cheap.
#####-- END LONG WINDED STORY ---#####

So now I am setting up X and am looking forward to using E17 on it. Wish me luck that nothing else happens. :lolflag:

I will still be using Ubuntu on my laptop, as all hell (sorry for the language if it offends anyone) would break loose if it broke.

chucky chuckaluck
May 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
sounds like a party.

ynnhoj
May 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
tl;dr

..welcome to arch!

:o

mips
May 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
The grub issue would have happened on most distros from what I can tell seeing you are booting off an external drive.

Welcome to the club. Live long and prosper as Spock would say ;)

smartboyathome
May 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
The grub issue would have happened on most distros from what I can tell seeing you are booting off an external drive.

Welcome to the club. Live long and prosper as Spock would say ;)

Yep, it would have been worse on Ubuntu because it installs grub to hd0 unless you specify otherwise. :(

Dr Small
May 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Congrats on getting Arch installed. Have fun! :)

smartboyathome
May 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I am having fun. It is cool. I got e17 and gtkpacman, and everything works great now. I got Some of the apps I had on Ubuntu, plus some others I didn't know about. E17 is getting tricked out. ;)

finferflu
May 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome home :D