PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] gutsy->hardy lost sound

wazo2k
May 13th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Hi,
I have upgraded to Hardy Heron 8.04 from 7.10 using the automated upgrade in kubuntu. I had sound, I don't have anymore. I tried to follow https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting and couldn't get anywhere.

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd
gives 161 lines (see attached modules.txt)

aplay -l
gives

**** Liste des PLAYBACK périphériques ****
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 0 : ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Sous-périphériques: 0/1
Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 1 : ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
Sous-périphériques: 1/1
Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0

lspci -v
gives

[...]
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8290
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
Memory at dbdf8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
[...]

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
doesn't give anything

sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
fails to do anything

alsamixer
Everything is up, nothing muted

cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xdbdf8000 irq 20

I am part of the "audio" group

sudo bash aadebug
see attached aadebug.txt

What should I look for next?

hermes0710
May 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Have you tried installing the backport modules?

wazo2k
May 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about backport modules. I'll read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports and try that tonight.

hermes0710
May 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I had a similar problem with my sound on an hp and couldn't make it work until i installed the backport modules. Just be careful to install those matching your kernel. Good luck!

WebWatch
May 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I had the sound working fine for a couple of weeks and then it stopped. Tried all the above and nothing fixed. Soundcard is found in lspci -v but aplay -l shows the driver is not loading. With 7.10 I managed to get 2 soundcards and 1 onboard all working at the same time. Please report if your having similar problems and maybe the next update could fix it.

wazo2k
May 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Sorry but I probably din't get your point, backports available to hardy don't seem to have any sound related package (looking at http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-backports/allpackages )

wazo2k
May 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Another thing, I have been looking at bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/223061 (upgraded to hardy heron from gutsy and now sound card does not work, no sound is being emmited)

In it, someone mentions "I started running the "Hardware Test" utility. The test sound didn't play. During the video test, something strange happened, and I cycled the power. When the laptop came back on, sound was working."

What could that hardware test utility be?

hermes0710
May 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I was talking about modules, not packages. Actually the package you need is something like: linux-restricted-modules-???? where ???? stand for your kernel version

Dubolomov
May 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I had this problem after upgrading to Hardy. It was fixed by using ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) instead of "Autodetect" that used by default.

wazo2k
May 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I was talking about modules, not packages. Actually the package you need is something like: linux-restricted-modules-???? where ???? stand for your kernel version

Thanks, I'll try that tonight if I have the time

I had this problem after upgrading to Hardy. It was fixed by using ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) instead of "Autodetect" that used by default.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work (tried within the control panel and within xine engine's audio setup in kaffeine.

I have tested the live kubuntu 8.04 CD this morning, and using it I heard the KDE login/logout sounds (this at least proves that my speakers are well connected). Unfortunately I didn't have time to test a lot more, especially since neither "amarok", "kaffeine" nor "top" were able to launch. I'll investigate more as soon as I get some time.

hermes0710
May 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
The package you need is linux-backports-modules-???? where ??? matches your kernel version (Search with synaptic package manager). Check this out and let me know

wazo2k
May 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I installed linux-backports-modules-2.6.14-17-generic (via linux-backports-modules-hardy), did a reboot, still no sound :(

but thanks again for the suggestion :|

HangukMiguk
May 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Have you checked in the sound configurations to see if ALSA is being used to handle sounds? ALSA is no longer default in Hardy, Pulse Audio is.

I don't remember where the config GUI is for audio in KDE though, but KDE's pretty easy when it comes to finding this stuff.

wazo2k
May 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Have you checked in the sound configurations to see if ALSA is being used to handle sounds? ALSA is no longer default in Hardy, Pulse Audio is.

Using the livecd (where sound is actually working), system settings > sound system > hardware > select the audio device is set to autodetect. If I change it to Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, sound still works. There is no choice for Pulse Audio. (Altough I vaguely remember having that setting available in my normal installation... I'll inspect in that direction)

In any case, thanks for the tip :KS

wazo2k
May 16th, 2008, 01:03 AM
no such thing as a Pulse Audio in the KDE control panel, but....

SOLVED!! :guitar:

For those interested, I noticed in the live cd that some channels in alsamixer were muted ("Front Mi", "Line", "Mic" and "IEC958"). So I tried to mute them on my installed system, and this gave me sound!

The weird thing is that I can re-unmute them without affecting sound.