PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - why are you still bothering??

macmatt
May 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Why oh why is this idealist project still afloat?... ubuntu STILL sucks as bad as it has for the last 4-5 releases, and it's no WAY desktop ready. Sorry to shatter all the fanboys' dreams of FOSS utopia, but thats plainly a dream for the sheer amusement of OTHER fanboys' and obsessives.

I am not here to start OS wars... that would be very stupid, but come on Linux.. you STILL suck, and where is the justification in that??. Sorry, but all you are going to be at this rate, is the same tired old hobby project you've always been. Constant Beta? yep!. Constantly behind the times? Yep. Constantly rubbish and a complete mess to setup? yep. Still afraid of the REAL WINNER - MAC OS X... I dunno... maybe...

I just tried 8.04... and yes... ubuntu STILL SUCKS AFTER ALL THE TIME YOU PEOPLE HAVE HAD, TO GET YA ACT TOGETHER. Stupid, pointless and clunky, and yeah sorry... Macs beat you ok.

PS: There is a real world outside - go spend some REAL money, licence REAL drivers and closed source hardware/software, and give all this idealistic crap a rest... we want a computer that WORKS, not a moral lecture from Richard Stallman - as much as I admire him.

kevin11951
May 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
well...

macmatt
May 13th, 2008, 03:18 AM
well...

Well what? :S it sucks ***!

Joeb454
May 13th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Ok...

Ubuntu works great for me, so you can't say it sucks. It worked WAY better than Windows XP for me (you know that closed source paid for software you so much recommended).

sstusick
May 13th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Go Away.

macmatt
May 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Ok...

Ubuntu works great for me, so you can't say it sucks. It worked WAY better than Windows XP for me (you know that closed source paid for software you so much recommended).

Sorry - can't even recall mentioning windows ;)

It is a messy job getting this ubuntu thing working... so what if it's free? ... for £80 I got Mac OS X and it works 99% of the time, and doesn't ask me borg-esque, geek level command line questions... I WANT TO *USE* MY COMPUTER YOU SEE! :)

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Why oh why is this idealist project still afloat?...

For the same reason Microsoft still has a market--because it works for some people. If that's not good enough for you, then perhaps your expectations are ... less than realistic.

Joeb454
May 13th, 2008, 03:23 AM

You never mentioned it directly, but I think this quote
There is a real world outside - go spend some REAL money, licence REAL drivers and closed source hardware/software

Does include Windows, particularly the part I made bold. That said, I'm going to stop feeding the troll...

kevin11951
May 13th, 2008, 03:24 AM

no, but you mentioned mac (aka Apple), which is the worst of all the proprietary companies out here! the second coming of Microsoft.

Dr Small
May 13th, 2008, 03:26 AM
You know, you may have a point here... But you failed to supply any evidence, so I can't justify agreeing with you. :)

p_quarles
May 13th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Thread closed. This is just pure trolling.