PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting back up from scratch

rebelrouser9
May 13th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I would like to know what would be a good partitionning of my hard drive when I install Ubuntu,

For example, how much space should be given to store programs and packages, how much for swap etc.

I am asking this because i have a small hard drive on my laptop (10 gig) and would like to maximize the space on it to put music and videos and downloads

BTW, I have a 800 mhz laptop

Thank you berry much,
Carlos

Pumalite
May 13th, 2008, 02:45 AM
With 10 GB you are going to be tight no matter what. Under the circumstances, install with Guided>Use Entire Disk.

rebelrouser9
May 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Ok but normaly how much room goes for programs and packages...

How much for you?

Pumalite
May 13th, 2008, 02:59 AM
8.04 fits in a flash drive. You will have all the remaining space in your hard drive.

rebelrouser9
May 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM
So are you saying that i should put 1 gig for Ubuntu and 8,5 for free space and 250 mb for swap?

Pumalite
May 13th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Double check post # 2

kerry_s
May 13th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I would like to know what would be a good partitionning of my hard drive when I install Ubuntu,

For example, how much space should be given to store programs and packages, how much for swap etc.

I am asking this because i have a small hard drive on my laptop (10 gig) and would like to maximize the space on it to put music and videos and downloads

BTW, I have a 800 mhz laptop

Thank you berry much,
Carlos

how much ram?
800mhz you should go lighter to get the most out of your resources.

do:
512 swap
use jfs file system, use the rest of drive for root /
don't worry about a separate home, that will maximize your disk space because your not locked in to any partion size.

i recommend you get a external drive to backup settings and save things, there well worth the $