PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No login screen at bootup, no shutdown options in KDE

nihilion
May 13th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Greetings,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently did a clean install of feisty (64bit) with the KDE4 desktop.

I really didn't like KDE4, so I installed kde3 next to it and did my best to delete KDE4 off my system.

However, after I got rid of KDE4, I no longer got a login screen when I booted my machine. I would only boot to a prompt (like DOS.. i know its not DOS, but I don't know what to call it). I would then login at the prompt and type "startx" in order to get into KDE.

Also, I think because I start KDE this way, I no longer get all of my shutdown options from the shutdown menu./ The only thing i can do is "logout".

Can anyone help? I just want to have a login screen so i can login properly, change users, or change sessions if I wish.

Thanks.

Nicholas

inportb
May 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Did you install kde, or did you install kubuntu-desktop? Because you're missing kdm and most likely a bunch of other packages. If you installed kubuntu-desktop, try installing kdm or reconfiguring kdm. Otherwise, install kubuntu-desktop.

nihilion
May 13th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I don't really know. I installed KDE4 originally from a Kubuntu (feisty 64) disk.

When I installed KDE3.5.9, I think I just did it from a command line using apt-get. But I don't remember if I typed apt-get install KDE or if I did apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

Should I try that?

Nick

Xiong Chiamiov
May 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't really know. I installed KDE4 originally from a Kubuntu (feisty 64) disk.

When I installed KDE3.5.9, I think I just did it from a command line using apt-get. But I don't remember if I typed apt-get install KDE or if I did apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

Should I try that?

Nick
Yes.

If you ever need to shutdown (and yes, starting X that way is why it doesn't appear in your options), you can run

sudo shutdown -pH now

or

sudo shutdown -r now

to reboot.

nihilion
May 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks guys. That did the trick. Just needed to install kubuntu-desktop.