PDA

View Full Version : Mono alternatives, Sponser some projects

tretle
May 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I think canonical should dedicate resources on key projects like Rhythmbox etc in the same vein as suse does with banshee, fspot etc. This will be an important step into keeping alternatives open. What do I mean when I say alternatives? Well I mean not integrating mono heavily into Ubuntu. Banshee has had great work done to it and I congratulate the banshee team. My view of mono has changed over the past few months.
I understand some people like it. Its a great alternative. But there is already a flagship distribution for mono and thats Suse.
Projects like Rhythmbox have not received as much love as banshee because the developers are developing it as a hobby. They don't get paid. It would be a shame to see Rhythmbox get replaced because the developers where not able to spend as much time working on it as the banshee developers. And it would be a shame to see mono gradually replacing everything. Then mono is no longer an alternative.

Vadi
May 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I highly doubt that Ubuntu is generating profits anywhere close to that Suse is to begin with.

But, yeah, I'm all for them spending their money on better stuff for me!

smartboyathome
May 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Canonical doesn't have many people it pays to program for Ubuntu/Open Source (only one that I know of). So doing something like this has a chance of next to none.

sakabato
May 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I think canonical should dedicate resources on key projects like Rhythmbox etc in the same vein as suse does with banshee, fspot etc. This will be an important step into keeping alternatives open. What do I mean when I say alternatives? Well I mean not integrating mono heavily into Ubuntu. Banshee has had great work done to it and I congratulate the banshee team. My view of mono has changed over the past few months.
I understand some people like it. Its a great alternative. But there is already a flagship distribution for mono and thats Suse.
Projects like Rhythmbox have not received as much love as banshee because the developers are developing it as a hobby. They don't get paid. It would be a shame to see Rhythmbox get replaced because the developers where not able to spend as much time working on it as the banshee developers. And it would be a shame to see mono gradually replacing everything. Then mono is no longer an alternative.

What is wrong with mono ?

Vadi
May 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It's a honeypot for conspiracy theories, and it allows people who are familiar with C# to help improve FOSS software. That's about it!

Sef
May 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

tom-ubuntu
May 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
It's a honeypot for conspiracy theories, and it allows people who are familiar with C# to help improve FOSS software. That's about it!
Greatest answer I read so far!

vexorian
May 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Greatest answer I read so far!
Yeah, it is awesome as a strawman we Mono opposers can use in the future.

--
Mono is a whole platform for software, I think that if people want to make apps for Linux, they should actually do it, if they code for Mono they are just coding an application that runs only on Novell's platform, not on Linux.

Even then, if people love C# so much that they can't stand any alternatives, they should be free to. But I don't want default ubuntu desktop to depend on Novell, and that's about all what happens if you include things like tomboy and F-spot. I want to be able to uninstall Mono from my computer without making my next ubuntu upgrade harder, that stuff shouldn't be a dependency for ubuntu-desktop. Period.

tretle
May 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thats annoying, They don't move the canonical hire more people for quality assurance thread but they move my sponsor projects thread. Whats wrong with wanting canonical to think about sponsoring various projects to increase work flow and make sure we have a certain standard of quality in key apps for each point release of ubuntu.
I never said mono was bad, I just don't like it and don't want it on my system. C and c++ is just as good. Would there be as much fuss if it where Java we are talking about.
The reason Mono alternatives is in the title is because I wanted to get across how much work Novell have done in recreating the wheal just for the sake of it. Instead of contributing to current projects they started new ones in mono and now we are reaching a stage where these projects are trying to dethrone current ones.
How about canonical sponser's the projects like Rhythmbox so the people who have been working on these projects for a very long time dont have to see them gradually die.
Its ridiculous any thread with mono in the title gets moved around the place, its obvious the guy who moved it probably didn't even read anything after the title.