PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] been hacked.

hockey97
May 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
HI I just been hacked, and they had my credit card info and stole 512 bucks.

I reported it to my credit card company they now stopped transations.

I found in my logs the ip address.

What can you suggest on how I can report the guy??

I done a ip lookup/whois and found the guy at london and has 33 websites he is a scammer also.

Is there anything I can do to track him down??

I am somewhat upset for losing 512 with this economy urgh!!

any thing you can suggest to track a person down or to properly report him.

HermanAB
May 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
When you get your statement, file a dispute with the credit card company for every one of the fraudulent transactions, then you should not lose any money.

hockey97
May 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM
but how can I report the guy. I send an e-mail to the guy's registar. He has 34 websites and all are scam types and this guy hacked me.

I now got e-mails from the guy saying hahah I got your money and other taunting stuff. I now found out the website he has.

I send an e-mail to the registar telling them the guy is doing scams and illegal activity.

Do you think this would be good enough?

Or could I file a complaint on cybercrime.gov??

cdtech
May 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Dipute and call the credit card company and send them all the information you have on this guy. Keep records. They love to go after these people, its their money their loosing.

I called the local FBI office when it happened to me. I don't know what happened though.

The bad thing about this is there is no single place to go and report.

whoop
May 13th, 2008, 09:03 PM
more interestingly, how did you get hacked?

Rplus9
May 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
exactly, I've been trying to google linux weaknesses in order to have a more informed position but I can't find anything solid. The best I've come up with is stuff someone tricks you into doing to yourself (like the remove all as sudo dupes)

After running on windows for so many years I still feel twichy about not having virus software or something more significant.

tamoneya
May 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
while the logs may be very helpful when it comes to getting your money back from your credit card company I don't think they will make enough of a case to take legal action. I am no lawyer but from what I have seen the RIAA has tried to make the case that IP address is enough to identify someone and from what I can tell it has failed in the courts. But sending an email to their ISP wasnt a bad idea since the ISP can take it from there and launch their own investigation.

OrcaWave
May 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
The FBI is WORTHLESS unless your a business.

Even then, you MUST lose more then $10,000.00.

Believe me, been there, and done all of this.

Probably his ISP is the best way to go. Get them to take some sort of action.

Yes, and definately file a dispute with your credit card company!

There's not really too much that you can do about hackers, but we've found that www.alphashield.com external firewall's can help.

Radio Shack has them on close out for $20.00.

The best $20.00 that you'll ever spend!

I would also buy the best router that you can afford. And put it behind Alpha Shield, before your box.

A clean re-install of your machine might be in order too.

We've lost about $6,000.00 in computers, hardware, and software to just one hacker.

I know exactly WHO he is, where he lives, and even his ISP provider (Comcast), but so far, we've not found a successful way to prosecute him.

Internet laws may vary from state to state.

I know that Arizona aggressively goes after hackers.

Good luck to you. We've been exactly where you are, and to a large degree, we're still there.

Orca Wave

wkulecz
May 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Publize your proof, maybe I can get my Godfather to whack him.

--wally.

thedevnull
May 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
So you have an IP which might be an owned BOT in a botnet. I ask you can a dog chase its tail? Well go for it then. Its not going to get you anywhere.

More important is to make sure you have a valid clean backup of your data. Then you can rebuild and lock down your new box so that it doesn't happen again. This time don't open any additional holes and follow the best practices for patching, updating and securing your box.

How were you "hacked"? Due to an know exploit or just weak system setup? Are you sure you don't have a rootkit or something at this point. It might just be easier to start over and rebuild than spending hours of analysis.

hockey97
May 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM
The ip address points to a website which I checked the website out right now. I am currently working on a website and stuff and I do have open ports which now I just added the security even my webserver was open so I now added the secure features. I haven't gotten a response by the guy's isp.

I found 2 ip addresss one points to his website and another points to the NL nether lands.

I still am not sure where to go so I just e-mailed the ISP since the guy has a domain name.

I really want this guy to fry.

I called the credit card company they said they to talk to my bank becuse mine is not fully a credit card more of a debit card and the bank told me that they can't refund the money they took meausers by issuing me a new set of numbers and told me to not give out my information.

so it looks like I lost 512 and I don't really have the time and money to take this matter to court plus I don't really know his address.

But thanks and wish me luck I might e-mail the ISP/registar one more time and if they don't reply I plan to e-mail ICANN to see if they will do anything.

The thing is I am kinda upset becuse my registar made sure that my information in the whois database is legit and right they calld my house and also called my bank and got information which my bank called me to allow them to give info to my registar to make sure I am legit then my domain name got activated all my info is in the whois my name my business name and they checked that asking for the business tax id and my address is in it.

So I gave legit infomation and now someone comes on doing hacks and also that website looks like he's been scamming someone or looks crooked to me.

But thanks for the replies and wish me luck.

sharkey77
May 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
The ip address points to a website which I checked the website out right now. I am currently working on a website and stuff and I do have open ports which now I just added the security even my webserver was open so I now added the secure features. I haven't gotten a response by the guy's isp.

I found 2 ip addresss one points to his website and another points to the NL nether lands.

I still am not sure where to go so I just e-mailed the ISP since the guy has a domain name.

I really want this guy to fry.

I called the credit card company they said they to talk to my bank becuse mine is not fully a credit card more of a debit card and the bank told me that they can't refund the money they took meausers by issuing me a new set of numbers and told me to not give out my information.

so it looks like I lost 512 and I don't really have the time and money to take this matter to court plus I don't really know his address.

But thanks and wish me luck I might e-mail the ISP/registar one more time and if they don't reply I plan to e-mail ICANN to see if they will do anything.

The thing is I am kinda upset becuse my registar made sure that my information in the whois database is legit and right they calld my house and also called my bank and got information which my bank called me to allow them to give info to my registar to make sure I am legit then my domain name got activated all my info is in the whois my name my business name and they checked that asking for the business tax id and my address is in it.

So I gave legit infomation and now someone comes on doing hacks and also that website looks like he's been scamming someone or looks crooked to me.

But thanks for the replies and wish me luck.

Hacked or Phished? Sound more like you got phished than hacked to me. Regardless of whether debit or credit was involved your bank can refund your money if a CC network was used. I'm assuming this was not ACH (even then you could fill out an unauthorized ACH form).

I've had my bank reverse debit transactions that I authorized. They will do so if the service or product was not provided or severely misleading.

Can you be more specific as to how you lost $512. I not guessing that your credit card number was saved in a hacked txt file. I beleieve you actively provided it to someone.

yaztromo
May 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Seconding that it seems more like phishing. Unless you had your credit card details in some text file on your computer?

joshuachad
May 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
thats defiantely phishy. It happens all the time. Mostly via email but these days its not limited to that. At no time should an ISP need information from your bank to make sure your legit. Especially after the fact.

hyper_ch
May 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

daleus
June 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
We've lost about $6,000.00 in computers, hardware, and software to just one hacker.

Computers and Hardware, this guy is pro, He sends it a small bash script which tells it to walk out of the building and to his house.

spadewarrior
June 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Computers and Hardware, this guy is pro, He sends it a small bash script which tells it to walk out of the building and to his house.

:lolflag: